I need help with my track

Bloomfield

The CEO
I've been rapping for 5 years. Became serious about 2 years ago. Actually invested money into my music a few months ago. I got the resources I need to record, mix and master. Here's the problem:

View attachment Bloomfield - Like New.mp3

I bought the .WAV from the producer. I recorded my first verse to the beat, just for testing purposes. Using Fl Studio 12, I decided to throw an EQ and a limiter on the instrumental. I'm using Maximus on the master track for my mastering. If you listen closely, you can hear the audio pulse through the song (both the vocals and the instrumental). What I mean by this, is the song starts off really loud, then you can notice the instrumental kind of duck when the bass hits, and it affects my vocals as well.

I've read somewhere that it has to do with the compression behind it, side chain compression to be exact. Now how the hell do I fix this pulsing that's going on through the song? If you listen to the whole instrumental you can notice that the pulsing happens even when my verse is done (it's real noticeable after the 1:55 mark).

I don't even know how I managed to make it pulse like that, I can see how it can be a good thing if done correctly, it will add bounce to the song, but I don't know how the hell to either remove it, or perfect it.

If you guys can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Stay Bloomin'

Beats purchased as 2tracks are usually heavily compressed already. My best advice without hearing it would be to only apply maybe a light limiter on your master bus to glue the beat and vocal together and control intersample peaking. I'll sometimes apply a dynamic eq or multiband compressor to the instrumental to notch out some space for the vocal if necessary. But it can do more harm than good if you're not sure about what you're doing. I find in most cases I just leave the instrumental alone if it was already mixed decent.

You know what, you're probably right. The producer I get my instrumentals from has very high quality beats, so I'm going to try that out.
I'll post an update here if I fix my issue.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

If you're using logic you can send me the session and fix I'll fix it and send it back so you can see what I did.

Back