I gotta be doing something wrong

StanleySteamer

I have been digging through discography's of music from the 60s-90s for DAYS and still haven't found a new sample for a beat. Idk if maybe I'm not hearing things right, maybe my choices are just consistently bad, but the main thing is like I have a lot of vinyls and stuff on the internet i can go through and i don't have a hard time finding underground artists to go through and listen to but its more of i just feel like i run through too much music to not have a new sample. Any thoughts or advice on this? How long does it typically take you guys to find a new sample?

I don't know about other cats but i listen to a few songs at a time and pick something to use.
Sometimes it's instant,like as soon as i hear it i start chopping.Other times it's not hearing what the
song is but what it can be.Listening to album after album for days,never done that.You might need
to give your ears a rest or just pick something and see what happens.

Peace

I don't know about other cats but i listen to a few songs at a time and pick something to use.
Sometimes it's instant,like as soon as i hear it i start chopping.Other times it's not hearing what the
song is but what it can be
.Listening to album after album for days,never done that.You might need
to give your ears a rest or just pick something and see what happens.

Peace
Exactly! if you keep this in mind im sure you can find at least a sample in each vinyl

i just feel like i run through too much music to not have a new sample. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Only listen to a couple and keep it moving..
Flip thru diffrent genres and inbetween listen to music u enjoy while digging for samples...

It can take me anywhere from 2 mins to 45...
If i can find one n that time i go thru the ones i already have stashed and pick one...

From time to time i close my eyes n randomly pick a sample... and work on it...
Even if i dnt hear anything i get to chopping and get creative..
-Using diffrent fx
-Throwin strings or horns on top

Last edited:
At some point you gotta create something. If you don't hear it right away, a lot of times I don't, I'll just go off the sounds and chop it up anyways. The key is to experiment. Sometimes the best music is made by accident cause you just felt it instead of thinking about it. Thinking about it to much can really hurt your music. Honestly, just saying f it and doing it anyways has made my music a lot better haha

Geez stop looking for that groundbreaking 2-4 bar loop
Every records I listen to I could sample and make a nice beat. Stop looking for something already "hip-hop" sounding, make it hip-hop.

Geez stop looking for that groundbreaking 2-4 bar loop
Every records I listen to I could sample and make a nice beat. Stop looking for something already "hip-hop" sounding, make it hip-hop.
Wow, nice point made there. I've gotta stop having this mindset too.

It sounds like you're forcing the dig. And like Puzzled said, find something you like and make it hip hop.

Also save samples that you keep because once you start polishing your skills and defining your style, you will be able to flip samples you thought weren't up to your standards.

If you have a ton of samples, go through them again and force yourself to either chop one up or do whatever you can to find one. Making deadlines in your head works too.

Sampling is really important to my production sometimes finding samples comes easy at times its more difficult. When you hear the sample it will hit you and you will know it. I sample to make house though so probably what I look for and what a hip hop producer looks for is different.
Heres one I made.

Last edited:
yea like Puzzled said and listen to some random ass shit that has some different sounds. try listening to records on 45 rpm if u work with a turn table, either way f with the pitch and just chop someting into a shitload of pieces and funk around with it. i started loopin stuff but when i learned to turn samples into my own loops it makes my feel like im not just rippin someone elses shitt if that makes sense... idk im afew beeers deep

Sometimes having too many records can hurt you creatively.You'd be suprised at how creative you can be with limited resources. We all have different methods for beat making. When I was into beatmaking really serious, I'd have days where i'd just collect songs to sample and put them in respective folders. Then when I was ready to make a beat, I'd have choices already. You can't force it though if you don't like the sample. Dedicate time when you can to looking for samples. When you're really in that creative zone, you'll hear things you may have missed before. Kanye said in an interview that he revists his old records because he has developed so much as beatmaker he can know flip parts of a record that may have not interested him before. If you get stuck sometimes listen to others for inspiration like that site whosampled.com for inspiration. Also experiment with changing the pitch, tempo and RPM of songs like Alec said. Play the record at 45RPM, change the tempo of the samples, the pitch etc... It will change the entire sound of the sample. Try also spreading the sample over several pads or keys and then play a sequence that is your own.

Last edited:
Back