I AM A STARTING RAPPER.

Killmehades

HEY GUYS
How do i make my songs sound good without spending too much. I don't know how to produce since I am only a writer and composer.
When i sing/rap my songs in public people go crazy but when i record they sound so trash.
Any tips/advice/suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Normally you don´t need to spend a lot. In the beginning dont even go overboard investing in a costly mic. If you havent recorded/produced at all yet, its much more in your skillset than in the gear.
Try to get to know someone to produce with; hopefully someone with a little more skills than you. That is a good way to learn a lot.
Alternatively; youtube. Watch people produce, mimick what they do.
If your recordings sound trash to you you are doing something wrong.
Does other people also think your recordings sound trash?
Dare to post here or send me an example and I´ll be happy to listen and comment.
What gear do you currently have for recording?

Normally you don´t need to spend a lot. In the beginning dont even go overboard investing in a costly mic. If you havent recorded/produced at all yet, its much more in your skillset than in the gear.
Try to get to know someone to produce with; hopefully someone with a little more skills than you. That is a good way to learn a lot.
Alternatively; youtube. Watch people produce, mimick what they do.
If your recordings sound trash to you you are doing something wrong.
Does other people also think your recordings sound trash?
Dare to post here or send me an example and I´ll be happy to listen and comment.
What gear do you currently have for recording?
Thanks for the reply,
I use the basic gear like focusrite interface, Audio technica 2020 mic and some other stuff.
Here, i will attach the song for you to have a hear.
thanks

Attachments

• Sleepy.zip
    3 MB · Views: 4
Hi again. The overall levels and clarity seems great. And it does not sound crap at all. But there is something to it I cant put my finger on. When I MONO it on my Audient NERO there aint much happening to the mix like its a little bit narrow/monoish. But I can hear that its not Mono-ish by using Waves Center to check it.
What effects are you using on Lead Vocals? Are they pretty dry or do you run a good chunk of reverb and delay on them?
Again; not crappy. Keep up the good work. I suspect there is something that could be done to the mixing of the vocal.
You DO NOT need better gear for sure; the beat, vocal recording and clarity is more than good enough.

I just used a pitcher and some eq and a light preset. I cannot put my finger on whats off in the song as well.
Very thankful for your review though.
let me know if I can be of any help.
Thanks

I just used a pitcher and some eq and a light preset. I cannot put my finger on whats off in the song as well.
Very thankful for your review though.
let me know if I can be of any help.
Thanks
Would love to hear the vocals only. With the effects you have on them.

Your equipment is solid; especially for recording vocals. They sound good to me but I am just learning myself.

*edit* op I am in the same situation (rapper, would love to just lay the vocals and leave it to an engineer)

What DAW are you using and how did you treat your vocal (in general).

Thanks

Last edited:
Back