hypothetically, if i could make beats as good as dre's and send them to rappers ..?

DjPolair

would they fly me out and hook me up in the industry, or would they never even get to hear the beat, because this is the one thing that is worrying me about the whole music biz

would they fly me out and hook me up in the industry, or would they never even get to hear the beat, because this is the one thing that is worrying me about the whole music biz

No they would not fly you out, "they" would probably try to rip you off or either jack your beat. Dre's beats are good but not my favorite anymore, the thing about Dre is his sound quality which is the best I've ever heard. If you can get his sound quality they may want you as an engineer.

They would fly you out but they wouldn't pay for your ticket back.

That's just the business.

^^^^ joking ... and I hope you are too. You don't ask those types of questions on web forums. No ones path into the music business is the same. There are TONS of people better AT BEATS than Dr. Dre. Some just don't have the timing and OVERALL Producers Ear that Dre has. Even if his beat isn't the best... he knows what sounds good over that beat. It's the "You know who would sound good on this...." factor that lets Dre outdo most other people... and he has the name to get those names on the records. If you listen to his old stuff, the beats aren't amazing, they just work. When Still Dre came out it was infectious... not it's skippable.

... and as Beat Off said... most people want their stereos to sound good even if that's not their intention. The quality of Dre's work actually make the songs "seem" better than other songs. It's to the point now where I'll delete mixtapes if they aren't mixed properly.

Last edited:
FACT. That is why nowadays you need a complete song in order to stand out. Good beats are a dime a dozen now.

Yep, and from doing so many remixes... I learned that the cadence of the words over the beat matter just as much as the beat. Certain beats FIT certain people. It's almost as if the beat "talks".

Sometimes on those collabo joints... some of the artists don't really sound that good on certain beats... and some other artist will come in and kills... think of the Look At Me Now song... all three rap entirely different. If it were a song for one person... it would FIT Lil Wayne best. Busta couldn't "carry" that whole song with the flow he was using.

^^^ That's the stuff Dre knows... more than anybody else.

Last edited:

They wouldn't hear your beats. Because they don't accept unsolicited tracks.

So if you sent them to them, your tracks would sit in an unmanned G-Mail account.

It's not about what you can do, it's about who knows you can do it.

Close friend that use to be active on the forums linked up with Master P. He flew him out to LA, bought everything he needed to make beats, put him up in a hotel during his stay, paid for food etc.

From what i've been told, Master P is an extremely humble dude and understands. I've heard plenty of horror stories tho. Really boils down to the individiuals your working with and what they want specifically. In my bro's case, it was easier to have a place for him to go work on the tracks than doing the whole email thing.

Now a days, I'd side with caution in that type of situation. At any point and time they can recoup any money needed to get you there to work. If it isn't specifically stated in a contract, I'd rather work from where im comfortable.

Having to owe anyone anything isn't something i like hung over my head but thats just me.

Last edited:
In a social industry like music, it doesn't matter how talented you are. You have to get out and talk to people. Doesn't matter if you're Dre or Soulja Boy. If you can't reach out to people, then you aren't gonna get anywhere in music.

In a social industry like music, it doesn't matter how talented you are. You have to get out and talk to people. Doesn't matter if you're Dre or Soulja Boy. If you can't reach out to people, then you aren't gonna get anywhere in music.

Exactly You don't hide a latern underneath a bush.

Back