How to remix?

Hey. Im quite new in music production and stuff have been doing it for about 2-3 month and i have used Ableton, but i have never managed to remix a songs. Well i tried to remix I'm on my way by Charlie Brown an acoustic but i did not managed to make anything that sounds nice. So i wonder if you have any tips and tricks for remix songs? I have heard that you should download stems or acapella. Is that a proper way to remix? Is it how the "professionals" do hahaha :D? I this case where i could download stems and acapellas? How do i work with sounds and stuff in Ableton? Tutorials on Youtube/Links? So i hope you understand that, i know basically zero about remix and i'm new in music production in general. So when you explaining everything please explain it easiest way as possible.
btw how do professional music producer remix songs, do they download stems, acapellas or they make remixes form full songs:D? Or is it up to you? Which way makes best quality for your music? :D

P.S Sorry if i'am repeating my questions and some of them are bit stupid, but im really confused and i don't really know how to explain what i want to ask hahaha:D

Hello there!
Answering "tips and tricks" question...just be creative and original with your remixes. Nobody likes remixes that sound like it's the original version with little variations. Even worse, if You try to sound like other artist.
Well, downloading stems is more handy for most people engaged in remixing, simply because of sound clarity that comes in ready-made packs containing song parts recorded separately.
Note that not every song has it's remix pack. Some songs are available to remix only in competitions (for example here) or after purchasing a song/album. Nevertheless, there are loads of packs floating around the Internet. This site provided really huge collection of remix packs/acapellas, back in the days i had opportunity to produce.
Of course, You can try remixing a song without remix pack. It might be difficult, as You can't simply separate vocals (in some cases it's possible), drums, guitars or synths like it's already done in stems. Nothing's impossible though; some remixes just rely on main song parts and they still sound amazing!
No shame in asking; feel free to ask about everything that bothers You ;)
Cheers!

Than you for a great reply, but i did not understood the competion part. What it is about? Do you mean that i can't remix songs that i want to ? :D And by remix packs you mean stems or is its something else ?

Than you for a great reply, but i did not understood the competion part. What it is about? Do you mean that i can't remix songs that i want to ? :D And by remix packs you mean stems or is its something else ?
I use remix pack and stems words interchangeably; it's the same. ;)
And by remix competitions i mean situation, when an artist or label (for example Indaba Music organizes competitions pretty often) announces a competitioin in which you are allowed to remix selected song and given stems to do so. Then You upload your remix on their website or your SoundCloud page and wait until the winner is chosen (usually by jury, sometimes by voting).
Winners usually have chance to get released on certain label or to collaborate with certain artist. Sometimes winners get prizes including money or music equipement.

You can use Thanks option if You found it helpful :D

Last edited:
Back