How to play on the mpc/mpd

FatoR

whats good?

i bought an akai mpd26 yesterday and start playing the drums on it. its actually hard to play the drums. maybe someone can help me out and show me some video tutorials or some tips how to get better and faster?

There's no real shortcuts to learning how to use one. Just keep messing with it, try new things, and you'll eventually pick it up. Remember, some people are fast learners.

jeremy ellis has tutorials.you will also need to learn fingerdrumming and try to imitate their drumbeats and maintain for at least 4 seconds.

paradiddles.
double paradiddles
4ths and 8ths and 16ths practicing
drumming on congas,desks couches etc you do not need to use the pad itself for drumming if you dont have access to it 24/7

Jeremy Ellis is straight beast on the MPC/MPD and has an amazing versatility of style most don't possess.

I too am in the same situation you are and am finding it tough to make the transition from point and click to finger tap. I have discovered though that layering sounds instead of trying to lay them all out at once as if playing a drum set makes it a lot easier. Basically start with your snare or whatever to set the base timing and rhythm then lay the next sound and so on using the overdub feature.

Back