How to make gated drums/vocals (specifically like Kate Bush)?

kim&jessie

death to our friends
Hi :)
I've always had an affinity for the kind of reverberated vocals and drums that artists in the 80s like Phil Collins, The Cure, Madonna and Kate Bush used, that sound very artificial and sort of enclosed? The song where I see this most of all is Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush:

The combination of sort of gasping, throaty, emotional vocals with reverb added that in a way kind of sounds like a mistake done on purpose? Just very echoed but closed off. It kind of gives this very nocturnal, ethereal feeling? Am I making sense? It just feels very 80s to me and I think it's something that is kind of underutilized in this new wave of fascination with the 80s we're seeing in popular music today. Might be a stupid question, but I'm kind of wondering what in specific these acts used to do these effects? I use Logic by the way, if that helps.

Last edited:
- use a reverb in send configuration
- plate reverb algorithms preferred
- experiment with the predelay parameter (often set longer than one would normally do)
- equalize the reverb
- put a gate at the last stage of the chain
- you could also experiment with a delay before/after the reverb

Also the right mics can get that vocal effect, like a condenser mic because its sensitive and will pick up those sounds of the throat you don't normally hear with a dynamic mic.

Back