How to chop up Samples maschine and fl?

peshti

Hey! I've been playing around with Samples and I've got to a point where everything loops perfect, I count bars etc usually I use slicex and then drag the wav into maschine. I love slicex because of the auto slice. However I want some guidance on how to chop up a sample. Do you timestretch first etc, do you find a loop then chop up? When do you pitch the sample when you time stretch or after? Also sometimes I time stretch my drums so it fits my bpm is that the correct way?

I hope my question is clear and I appreciate all the Help I can get. Just want to become more creative since just looping can get boring and uncreative at times.

I use Maschine for all my sampling but if you find getting a tight loop going easier on slicex then carry on. Can't fault you.
I truncate to a loop and the stretch it. Always.
I don't often pitch up my samples but when I do it's specific chops/slices (don't know if that's 'normal')

So I sample (from vinyl usually)
Truncate (to tightest loop possible)
Stretch (to required BPM)
Chop (Maschine calls it 'slice') (depending on sample; usually all 16 pads - sometimes 8)
edit chops so the start points are bang on.
Set up polyphony and choke groups (really important to me)
lay down a quick guide beat on the drum group
flip the sample.
sort the drums out (both sound and rhythm)
flip the sample again (I like to have alternatives) to a new slot on the sequencer
take unused chops and put fx on them (reverse, pitch etc) to see if they can be used after all.
Flip again.
do alternative drum loops and a couple fills.
do lots of copy/pasting and moving about on the sequencer to get a rough arrangement
Bounce the audio on the sequencer to wav stems
drag it into S1 and mix.

Not sure about drum stretching... My drums are initially played in against the metronome.
If I'm using a break on a loop then it's been stretched to bpm after truncation like any other looped sample but I'd never be arsed to stretch individual drum hits; that'd be pointless IMO...
I'm really not sure what you mean...

I probably should start running Maschine as VST within S1 but I'm pretty used to doing all my production (making) in Maschine standalone and the dragging the bounced audio into S1 to mix (post production) and tighten arrangement that I just haven't been bothered.

I even track my instruments (bass guitar/acoustic/synth) into Maschine's sampler and truncate to 1 or 2 bar loops(8 bar loops for synths so I can mess more).
vocals are pretty much the only thing I actually record directly to daw.

Last edited:
I see, I've tried to chop up samples but they just come out really choppy. Are there some tricks or something I'm missing, I've heard something about attack and decay, is that something you use? I also read something about delay.

I see but are those things used to take away clicks and pops? To smooth the chops? You see I think my chops are sometimes choppy because you can hear clicks between the chops for example vinyl hiss. I dont know IF thats a good explanation

I see but are those things used to take away clicks and pops? To smooth the chops? You see I think my chops are sometimes choppy because you can hear clicks between the chops for example vinyl hiss. I dont know IF thats a good explanation

You need to zoom in and do a better job of editing the chop.
And vinyl hiss is a beautiful sound... Embrace it.

Got you, are there usually a lot of manual adjustments when it comes to maschine and slicing? So basically IF the chops are good they will be smooth when used together without attack, decay and etc?

Hi, sorry for the question, but I want to start out making beats and making my own samples... Can you use FL Studio 12 for sampling or importing music? If not, is there a DAW you can do this with?

Any daw has that capability.
And synthesis capability for most types of synthesis.
[sampling is a technicality in the synthesis world as well as it is just a playback tool that can be used as such, but is basically not synthesis.]

Got you, are there usually a lot of manual adjustments when it comes to maschine and slicing? So basically IF the chops are good they will be smooth when used together without attack, decay and etc?

It really depends on what you want to do with the sample(s). The ADSR envelope is another tool for further shaping the sound. If you want the sample to sound exactly like the original, then after clean cuts are made, not much else needs to be done, if anything. You can definitely chop samples clean enough to where they don't have any clicks, etc. With practice, you will be able to do it quickly and likely without even hearing the actual sample (by looking at the waveform).

The work is what makes it rewarding and repulses most people from being good producers/musicians.

There's tutorials on the site that address your specific question and more. This should help: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...and-digging/tutorial-how-chop-samples-436249/

Last edited:
Back