How much time do you put into producing and what are your goals?

JMD_Music

Curious to know how much time everyone here puts into their production and what their goals are.

When I get started, I'll be able to put in a minimum of 40 hours per week. In addition to that, I'll have someone to teach me Ableton, teach me the piano, and possibly have another producer mentor me. My goal is to do this full time by the beginning of 2017. I know it's lofty, but I want to do music full time sooner rather than later.

I already know writers/artists who have worked with artists such as Britney, Janet Jackson, Fifth Harmony, Havana Brown, JLo; and producers such as Rodney Jerkins, Tricky Stewart, and Red One, along with a former employee at Deckstar, so I feel as using those connections would help immensely.

Just curious to know what the rest of you want to see come out of your musical endeavors.

Not as much time as I'd like - but I have a wife, job and 2 sons (10 months and 12 years old) in the mix...
Goals are pretty short term for me... Album is coming along - first time I've been prepared to be in front of the mic myself in a long time to be honest and I'm writing more than beatmaking right now.

Spent most of that time gaming, googling daw info, making beats, turning knobs in synths and sampling.
Goal is to just be decent at the hobbies I have. As simple, as can be.

during the week since i have a full-time job, i average maybe about an hour per day during the week. and on weekends, when i'm not driving for lyft, i produce for about 3 to 4 hours. i intern 3 nights a week as well, my career goal is to become a full-time audio engineer.

it depends on how much time u got
to be honest i sleep in the studio ' everything in my life is evolved around music ,i sleep eat music ' iuse google/youtube a grip, but mainly i focus on my weaknesses and like for example i was bad in mixing an iknew it confidently , so i just focused on mixing an everything i could delve into learning plugs, melodies , bass , drums, spatial relation with space , just be conscious of what you can do and can't build from there . p.s dont think about making it , think about getting better in your craft bro ' the skills you will need to acquire to get you where you want to be .
good luck fam

Last edited:
On average, maybe 15 hours a week. When I first started it was 30-60. Right now my income is primarily mail box money and that gives me room to live and explore a little more.

Also, depending on the project, I could be working for weeks on end.

Goals, land a 2 more big licensing contracts before the end of the year and increase my track catalog by 500.

I put in maybe 10-12 hours a week. I wish it was more but my day job and life in general is keeping me busy.

My goal this year is to meet local artists and create a business plan in hopes to make money from this amazing hobby!

Back