How many MPC sequences?

skiroy

This is the last question before I just start making beats and never look back. Im just startin out and I have a basic understanding of making a intro,outro,verse,hook,breakdown, maybe a bridge. But my stuff still sounds too repetitive.

Im on a MPC and of course its all relative to the producer and the beat. But how many sequences do yall typically end up with on a MPC beat?

I been doing a INtro outro. 2 different 4 bar sequences for the verse. 1 sequence for the hook(repeated 2 x). 1-2 sequence for a breakdown. Maybe 1 for a bridge,which Im still trying to figure out how to do these.

So I been using about 6-7. Im sure this is to littel cause it sounds repetative. BUt IM not really sure where to add more.

I don't see how this is related to MPC as this is more about beat's structure.. Listen to some instrumental versions of tracks you like and pay attention to the beats. You will probably notice that they are not full of crazy change ups in most cases. So it's not necessary and might overpower the mc.

Once again I will say the same thing: you should do what you feel like doing. Instead of asking these questions you've been asking, you should be on your mpc practising and trying to figure what you like doing.

Last edited:
JYRI is right but you can also work on creating longer sequences that don't repeat within themselves. 8 12 etc...... Chord changes..... Dance break......

As of lately I have been working in a more linear format but if you have 6 to 7 patterns I don't think the actually number of sequences is the problem. Try working on the variation between your sequences. Are they distinctly different from one another? Or do some just contain mutes and etc?

Best of luck.
But it does break down to how you want your records to sound without drowning out the talent.

just do what all you think should be done in the mp...track it out then add more if you see fit..or do diff change ups or whatever..if you got the sounds down and all you worried about is arranging, just do that after you track in

Back