how long do house DJs play a song

acetheface954

Electronic music is known to have long cuts (which I love) consisting of nearly minimal beginning and endings. My question is how long do you play the record before applying the fader to play the next song? I'm guessing after you've played the meat which probably kicks up within the 1st three minutes of the song.

Side note. You guys have any uploaded feeds of yourselves DJing on video? Would love to see that.

Last edited:
I spun house for eight years. I would ride the mix until the record I was mixing out of ended. Thats usually like a minute to two and half mins. There's nice tone and textures when the songs complement each other.

There are no rules - whatever sounds good. I would say the only exception is NOT to mix 2 tracks that BOTH have musical parts (melodies) playing especially vocals.
Apart from that you need to experiment/practice as much as possible to learn your tunes and establish what works and what doesn't.

Yeah you're both right. I got a chance to go check out these called mixwell house last week and yo those ladies did it up lol. Blends so tight you didn't know they were going into another track. Vocals on top of vocals never appealed to me. Neither did melody on top of melody. I also saw this house music documentary that really taught the true nature of electronic music and why things are the way they are. So now I'm in a good place with all this. Just need to choose what to perform with and learn how to DJ.

There's a documentary called "Maestro" thats pretty good.

Back