How do you use Instagram to market your music?

The Funk Junkie

So... I made an Instagram a couple weeks ago to see if I could network a bit but it seems kind of pointless. I was initially thinking of using it as a gateway to my bandcamp, soundcloud, or facebook page but it has been a waste of time so far. Does anybody have any experience/tips at successfully using Instagram to promote your music? As of now, it's looking like something that won't be worth putting a lot of time into. Thoughts?

If you have one, I'm @thefunkjunkie, I'll follow you back because honestly, what else is there to do on Instagram???

Get a girl to twerk while your song is playing. boom. Get a popular pretty girl to mention your song. boom

may not be your cup of tea. there's different social network platforms for different people, not everyone can and will be active on every single one. i personally don't use instagram so i can't say, but i can advise finding at least one social network to capitalize on and streamline your fanbase through

You need publicity...hmmm.

Make a vicious diss song about a famous politician, walk around with an AK in the video, safe up and buy 100k views. Watch it take off. People will be outraged and the politician might address you. You talk yourself out of the legal troubles. You're famous. Now you can focus on saying what you actually wanna talk about.

Hmmm.... twerking or AK... tough choice on this one but I'm gonna have to go with the twerk.

In all seriousness though, I'm not looking to make anything go viral, just put myself out there on another social network in a way that isn't a total waste of time.

Hmmm.... twerking or AK... tough choice on this one but I'm gonna have to go with the twerk.

In all seriousness though, I'm not looking to make anything go viral, just put myself out there on another social network in a way that isn't a total waste of time.

Go with the twerkin then. Most dudes be on instagram to follow chicks. if you can get a few chicks who are popular to mention your music you start to spread it's name.

So... I made an Instagram a couple weeks ago to see if I could network a bit but it seems kind of pointless. I was initially thinking of using it as a gateway to my bandcamp, soundcloud, or facebook page but it has been a waste of time so far. Does anybody have any experience/tips at successfully using Instagram to promote your music? As of now, it's looking like something that won't be worth putting a lot of time into. Thoughts?

If you have one, I'm @thefunkjunkie, I'll follow you back because honestly, what else is there to do on Instagram???

I suggest you study the 80/20 rule/principle.

You don't need instagram at this point...especially if you can't think of an effective way to utilize it after being signed up for WEEKS.

Look at what's making 80% of your chip's, focus in on that and drop the other 20% that was ineffective and wasted time(THE REAL ASSET). Use new found time to enhance your 80% venue.

I know music is a trendy/fad laden industry but YOUR business does not have to be.

Yeah I don't really see instagram being used as a marketing tool. If anything its just a humanizing tool. Every major artist I follow on their really doesnt advertise or promote anything except for the occasional club appearance flyer.

except Rhianna. I follow her solely for near nude pics she takes on occasion but damn those ads that she passes off as every day photos have me inching towards that unfollow button.

If you aren't trying to go viral, why are you using Instagram? The whole point of using social media is to gain fame and popularity. Any other purpose for using social media is a waste of time.

True, it is sorta difficult using on your own account. If you just started try emailing your friends on facebook, a fair amount will follow you. I don't really use instagram to promote but i use popular artists on my posts for example Drake. Notice the coolest way to use instagram is using it as a subject matter on a site or wherever else, THEN i embed the code inside the post and Bam. There you go. Hope this gives you an idea on how you want to use instagram or any social media you have in mind.

Back