How can I stop feedback from the mic to the headphones? (FL STUDIO)

twranks

Hey guys/gals,
I just started recording professionally a couple of months ago and I just changed my audio interface to the Focusrite scarlet 2i2.

Since then, all the artists I work with have been complaining of latency issues when they are recording; they hear themselves a few seconds after they speak on the mic.

Of course, there is a simple solution for this- turn off the recording feedback (if that is the right terminology) from the mic to the headphones so the artist doesn't have to hear the latency.

My problem is- I don't know how to do this! I have searched google but all the information doesn't really correlate with what I want to be done. If someone can help me out with a link on how to do this, or just tell me at once, that would be great!

Some extra info: I use FL STUDIO as my DAW
I use my personal laptop for recording

Thanks

You might want to use the "direct monitor" function of your interface - this sends the signal back straight from the Scarlett to the artist, without having to loop through the DAW. This way they can still hear themselves in the 'phones, but without latency.

In your DAW it would be a good idea to route everything that you want your artist to hear to a bus that is output to the headphones (or simply change the output of your vocal mixer track.

I don't have that interface, but the suggestion above seems easy and quick.

Hey man! You probably have your buffer length set too high. Go to settings-audio and you'll find it just above the "show ASIO panel" button. You should have the buffer length set as low as possible but if you have a slow/weak computer its a good idea to turn the buffer length up whenever you're not recording.
Don't know if you found a solution yet but thats my guess at least. Good luck bro

Also i would not recommend turning off the playback for your artist's. In my experience the artist ALWAYS perform better with a bit of compression and reverb when recording. Helps them get in the zone or whatever. But you need to route it through a bus so you don't get the processing recorded. Hope I was of any help, have a good day.

Also i would not recommend turning off the playback for your artist's. In my experience the artist ALWAYS perform better with a bit of compression and reverb when recording. Helps them get in the zone or whatever. But you need to route it through a bus so you don't get the processing recorded. Hope I was of any help, have a good day.

Fair point, but if there's a large amount of latency involved, it'll throw them off their groove and that won't be countered by having a nicely compressed/reverbed monitor sound

Back