How can I get exposure in my area?

Sohra

Hi, I want to be a mixer for House / Trance / Pop.

Well, I'm going to be straight foward with some personal info that I am from Knoxville Tennessee, and Electronic / Pop clubs don't even exist in this city. There's one popular bar/club called Cotton Eyed Joes but it's country. There are no clubs for me to get exposure in this area.

How do I get exposure for gigs?

learn open format, what locals listen to... play some of ur stuff so they grow to like it.. change the scene become famous...

or move... u live ina tough area for that kinda music.

Speaking from experience, it's generally pretty difficult for out of area DJs to get booked unless you're really out there making moves.

The best thing you can do is integrate yourself within a local club/rave scene, appear frequently, support the club/venue, and, after doing this for a short while, start promoting yourself as a DJ in that environment. Find out what people like (opening Tech House sets for headliners in clubs perhaps) and make a few mix CDs with those types of tracks, distribute them to club owners and the resident DJs.

I am the resident DJ at a nightclub in Pittsburgh, PA and nothing irks me more than people who constantly ask for bookings but have never, ever taken the time to come out and support me at gigs, or support the club their seeking bookings in.

In that market, I would focus more on the pop than the house/trance. But no matter what, the number one thing is to go out and meet the people at venues you can see yourself at. Managers, promoters, doormen, bartenders, etc. The more they know you, the more they might be down to let you open a night or co-promote a night to get your foot in the door.

Back