Hip-hop elitism

ego killer

i'm sick of people on message boards saying "i'm better/more intelligent/classier/more hip-hop than you because i only like boom-bap." i don't know many people like this is real life. only a couple.

i love boom-bap btw, not exclusively i bump modern shit about the same amount but i don't look at it as some reflection on my character.

Last edited:
If you're a fan of certain people that says things about you...

Not really... i could listen to Soulja Boy and Chief Keef all the way to Gaga, Bieber and Rihanna with an open mind and ear.

Well maybe that says i'm diverse lol.

Let me put it differently, it says a lot about you if you think a certain artist is a good lyricist.

Listen to what you listen to!

When I was listening to Wu Tang, Onyx and Bone thugs HARD old school heads would check me about Kurtis Blow Rakim, KRSOne and Kool Moe dee...they didn't know I had their music too! Their parents checked them about Earth Wind and Fire, Parliament and Frankie Beverly! Their Parents checked them with Muddy Water's, Ella Fitzgerald and Ike Turner! Their parents checked them on Mahalia Jackson, John Coltrane and Dizzy! Their parents checked them on Negro spirituals, Muezzine chants and Moorish healing music!.....I GOT ALL THAT SHYT...DO YOU HOMIE....check the next generation on ASAP, Tyler and Kendrick Lamar!

Last edited:
I listen to all kinds of music, I'm just a music nut with eclectic taste buds. I however don't like A LOT of music as well. There's good and bad in every genre and good and bad from every artist within that genre. Now do I like the boom bap stuff? Some of it knocks, lyrics too, some of it is vomit. Do I like the trap stuff? Some of it knocks, some of it is GARBAGE. Is there a catchy ass country song out there? I'm sure there is, I just haven't gone out of my way to find it. I'm sure there's some dope ass Gregorian chant in music land somewhere too, lol. A dope ass parakeet whistle, etc, etc. That's why music is so grand. There's something for everyone, no matter who you are or what interests you. Just because you think Jay Z is the slap doesn't mean he has music that's any better or worse than a song like Aguanile. That's what's dope about music, It's doesn't matter what you think, it's what everyone else thinks that matters, or not. Hmmmmmmmm. :)

There is in fact elitism in the hip hop world however I think there is a line between being "open minded" and listening to bad music and just calling it different. Because just calling it different is to cover up for its lack of skill. For example I would say, and yes its my opinion, that the current form of Lil B makes BAD music. Not because of subject matter, not because he's OVERLY repetitive, or because on some songs there's no hooks and just rambling, and not because he speaks on different things like homosexuality and satonic matter.

Its because his execution and his skill is just terrible. There's no dynamic in his song writing, he's just bad.

Sorry to go on a rant about Lil B but he's just the obvious example. There's less obvious examples where fans make excuses for the artists actual artistry by saying they listen to a variety of stuff.

Listening to variety would be listening to John Lennon and Ice Cube. Not Rick Ross and Madonna.

I agree with your point though for the most part. But some criticism from boom bap evangelists is valid. I wouldn't call myself one though. There is still great music in the mainstream and in the streets. For example I think Hustle Hard is one of the Top 10 songs of the whole decade. It involves rebellion, struggle, and flaunting and valuing possessions and LOTS OF BASS!!! Its the essence of hip hop. Most hardcore boom bappers would disagree but that song talks about struggle AND bumps at a party AND in a car. How many songs can do all three?

Last edited:
the%20show%20soundtrack.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

This thread made me think about those cd's, I need to find those two albums..

but yea, I bump old school AND new shit too.. most people I know ride the mainstream wave, I have to accept that, and just do me..
Like dude above said, listen to what ever you want..

I know its just an ad-lib/overdub, but the shit is funny.

Judge me, i guess i'm elite

Last edited:
Back