Hi everyone......i need helpp

qbson82

hi everyone ...at the begining I want 2 say sorry because my wrighting skills in english ar shit:mad: anyway I know it's ridiculous but can someone give my some tips and advise how 2 create drum pattern ! ! step by step !!!everything else is fine!!!!!I'm using Reason 4.0 ...I know ther is a lot of vids on youtube but still I can't get the proper rythm of hihats and rest of percussion!!!maybe I'have problem with time signature!!!I set tempo on 85 bpm and sound is to slow or to fast even if I quantanize notes,dozent sound properly!!!and when I tryin regroove later,everything sounds like one big mess!!!I don't know maybe I don't have ear for music..please help..thx

Hey qbson,
Just joined up and yours was the first post I looked at so I'll try to help. Simple Drum patterns follow some pretty basic ideas. Its mostly about fractions and symmetry. If you understand those two concepts there's no reason ( forgive the pun ) why you can't create some original stuff. The most straightforward time signature is 4/4. That basically means that there are 4 beats in each bar ( 4/8 would be twice as fast and 4/16 would be twice as fast again) . 99.9% of Dance music uses this 4/4 time signature. Put a Kick Drum on each beat and a snare on the second and forth beat and you have a 4/4 Drum pattern at its most basic . Now for the Hi-hats and this is where the fractions come in . What we need to do to create an interesting Hi-hat pattern is get the hats ticking away BETWEEN the Kick and snare beats. So... we have four beats, each of which we can divide into 2, 4, 8, 16 or however many smaller divisions we like, although 8 is probably the limit unless you want you're hats to sound crazy fast. We could also divide these four beats into 3, 6, 9, etc but I suggest you stick with the 2,4 8 stuff for now. In lots of dance music, Open hats often occur half way between the Kick drums with closed Hats filling in the other 3 or 7 divisions. I made a quick example of this pattern in Ableton so you can see what I mean . This is the basis for the majority of 4/4 drum patterns and by making small changes to the position of individual hits you can create some cool stuff. Its no small thing to describe in detail the millions of possibilities but I would suggest you try to analyse a few simple tunes so that you really understand what's going on. Like anything new getting started can be difficult but start with the basics, experiment and don't be afraid of breaking the rules.View attachment 29035 Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back