hey guys

khakimon

dont have enough time to do the proper research so im asking the experts: im looking for the cheapest way to do some proper scratching with virtual dj. is one usb turntable and a timecode vinyl the way to go? or should i look at that hercules mp3 unit?

how much cash you got?

what kind of sound card have you got on your pc?

do you want a deck and mixer or do you want an (imoho) annoying little midi cup n saucer disk??

you will need a half decent scratchy mixer either way..

deck you could.. if your quite lucky.. get one for around £150 on ebay.

half decent mixer...£100 which would do "for now till the fader bleeds"

then you need a sound card.. you can get them with phono line ins... to hook up the mixer to use with a dvs (digital vinyl system)...

like mix vibes.. or even traktor pro 3 or something that is crossed overed!

you can get a demo/cr@ck version somewhere like http://www.egydown.com/2157-traktor-dj-studio.html

then you need the time code vinyl which are £20 or so...

then some carts and needles... £20-£40

get frosted slipmats £19 well worth it

or you could just get a deck/mixer carts/needles and one sample record...

to start off with.. hook up your comp to one line on your mixer and play tunes off your comp or flash beat loopers...

well theres my input!!

some one else can tell you how great Hercules controllers are

well **** thats a lot of info to digest but thanks! i have a emu 0404 sound card already so im good on that front. im looking to spend around $250 on hardware.

so you're saying the mini saucer type wheel is limiting when it comes to scratching... i was wondering about that

How "proper" are you looking to get? I only ask because it will be a lot less frustrating to find someone else who can already cut. Besides buying the rather expensive equipment, you have to learn to use it, *then* practice for quite a while before you can cut on a level you'll be comfortable recording.

But, if you're just looking to throw in some bass kick scratches or simple baby scratches, you can probably pull that off with cheap gear. But, I'd still try to reach out to find someone who is already practiced and has all the gear to record.

looking to get as proper as i can for about $250-$300. is scratching on a jog wheel possible?

Last edited:
looking to get as proper as i can for about $250-$300. is scratching on a jog wheel possible?

Your not looking to do anything with that amount of money. What you'll end up doing is wasting your money. It takes time, money, and a lot of practice do anything decent.

ok well im able to create decent scratches with my mouse for $0. so to say i wont be able to do anything is pretty ridiculous. im just looking to improve on my mouse scratching ( http://usershare.net/40xt8o06593n i did some scratching on the intro & hook on this track )

Last edited:
Back