Help with using Reason with EMU Xboard...

yoschie

Hello,

I found these forums in my search for help with a problem I'm having.

I only recently started working with reason, and up until a few days ago had been doing all my controlling and input manually with my mouse...

I received an EMU Xboard 25 for my birthday a couple of days ago, but am having trouble getting it up and running.

I have installed the Xboard control software that came with the keyboard... and from what i've read, I now need to link this software with reason to make the keyboard work...

However, none of the tutorials or manuals I have read really tell me how to do this....

it could be that due to my lack of experience with reason and midi/usb controllers that I am finding it more difficult than it really is... but, regardless, i need help with this problem.

can anyone here provide me with a step by step process that I need to go through to make this work? or maybe point me towards an existing helpful tutorial online?

thank you.

yos-

I just asked a guy at propellerheads about using an x-board, and i got this:

We won't add Remote support for any new MIDI controllers, it's up to the MIDI controller manufacturers to fix.

And I think EMU will add remote support for thier MIDI controllers. But you might want to check this with EMU.

In the meanwhile you can still use your E-Mu X-board 49 with Reason as descibed here:

You have to add the MIDI controller/keyboard/interface manually in Preferences -> Control Surfaces and Keyboards.

Select <Other> in the Manufacturer drop-down.
In the "Model" drop-down, select choise that suits your MIDI keyboard/coontroller.

Now Reason will accept MIDI according to the MIDI Implementation Charts.pdf (in your Reason folder).

Hope this helps. It sounds fairly simple (I can't try it until my keyboard arrives) - just a question of creating a new control surface and assigning it the right midi channel.. some of the more detailed features might be tricky until EMU add remote support though.

Most controlers will work within reason even if they are not under the Manufacturer & Model drop down.. You have to choose the option where it says keyboard with controls.. keyboard without controls.. which ever one suits your controller.. then click find and hit a key.. NEVER use the auto-detect. it never works for me anyways.. If that process dont work you will have to set your controler up via the advanced midi section.. You will need midi cables for this step obvsly..

Back