HELP! Which laptop should i get for heavy use production (FL STUDIO)??

Picassoo

Hey guys, i am going to buy a laptop soon and i was debating if i should get the Macbook pro or not since i heard great reviews about it. Only problem is that you need bootcamp installed and you also need Windows 8 installation disc (which i dont have). Right now, i really dont know what to get. I need a laptop that I can use on the go and that is powerful. The most im trying to spend is $1,200. You guys know any laptops that are powerful and good enough to handle FL studio with less lags/crashes (Latency, etc)? I found one laptop that could be a perfect fit, ill post the link at the bottom Thanks.

Link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g710/?sb=:000001C9:0000F80B:

Last edited:
First of all Macbook has nothing to do with windows 8.

You aren't gonna find a new macbook for 1200.

youll be able to find a PC that fits specs for that price though. I bought a laptop about a year ago (I have a macbook now) I think it was a 17 inch Asus, 8GB Ram, Intel i7 processor(prefer quad core) or a solid state drive would be better. But youll be able to find something for that price(maybe not solid state tho) just make sure those are your minimum standard specs, in my opinion.

Screen size doesnt matter obvs i just said that.

Source

Full system requirements of FL Studio:

• [*=left]2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 (or later) compatible CPU with full SSE2 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously. Download and test the demo!
    [*=left]32 or 64 Bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP (with service pack 3)
    [*=left](or) Intel Mac with Boot Camp / Windows. Running XP (with service pack 3), Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 Bit), Windows 8 (32 or 64 Bit)
    [*=left](or) Intel Mac with OS X 10.8 for the FL Studio Mac OS X BETA (Crossover Wrapped)
    [*=left]1 Gb or more RAM recommended
    [*=left]1 Gb free disk space
    [*=left]Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (FL Studio installs with generic ASIO4ALL drivers)

Now, find a laptop with specs similar or superior to those and you should be fine.

Pc is has better specs for cheaper im guessing.

I bought my Hp Envy Quad edition 3.4ghz, 8 GB RAM, GT 740 graphics for 1000 US dollars with accidental coverage for 3 years and tech support and windows 8 pro and light up LED keys. Its windows 8 and scrolls like a MAC. Which sucks but if you like to window shop to get around, you'll like Windows 8, it's like MAC where you scroll around a lot to get where you're going to.

I prefer my Windows 7. I prefer reading "only" the name of the program from a list rather than seeing an icon. but it has that on the screen too if I want.

Here's a link to great deals. Cheap Deals, Best Hot Daily Deals and Coupons by Deals2buy.com on 2014-09-07

PS

Pc's multi task better and can game. A Wii is mac I think. but and xbox is pc for sure. And PC computer do games too.

Last edited:
Don't spend 1000 bucks on an overpriced computer you could build yourself for half that price. Meaning I wouldn't go with Mac for that reason as they only seem to be overpriced. Also I wouldn't expect to be doing much music from a laptop "on the go" seeing as you likely run out of battery quite soon.

And when you ask if we know any laptop that can handle it with less lags/crashes, what exactly are you comparing to?

Last edited:
Pc is has better specs for cheaper im guessing.

I bought my Hp Envy Quad edition 3.4ghz, 8 GB RAM, GT 740 graphics for 1000 US dollars with accidental coverage for 3 years and tech support and windows 8 pro and light up LED keys. Its windows 8 and scrolls like a MAC. Which sucks but if you like to window shop to get around, you'll like Windows 8, it's like MAC where you scroll around a lot to get where you're going to.

I prefer my Windows 7. I prefer reading "only" the name of the program from a list rather than seeing an icon. but it has that on the screen too if I want.

Here's a link to great deals. Cheap Deals, Best Hot Daily Deals and Coupons by Deals2buy.com on 2014-09-07

PS

Pc's multi task better and can game. A Wii is mac I think. but and xbox is pc for sure. And PC computer do games too.
you bought that laptop for $1000 including the warranty? or is the $1000 just for the laptop itself?

don't forget that FL Studio for Apple computers (forgot the name of their system, lol) is at beta stage.

I paid $550.00 $600 with warranty from Walmart
4gigs of RAM i3 2.20ghz
now with 8 gigs of RAM
64bit

two years ago

you can get a i5 or maybe a i7 PC now for $600-$700 now
head on down to your neighborhood Walmart

and only had one blue screen in two years
loaded up too many instances of Kontakt I think was the problem

I use a Alienware M14x
My specs:
i7-4700mq 2.4Ghz
8 Gigs of ram
750 gb hdd

I usually never lag unless I have something corrupt going on. Which is rare and usually just this one track....

I love my macbook for producing music, but not in FL studio. Get a real DAW ;) FL studio on mac is pretty horrible to use. Find the best CPU and RAM for your budget because thats whats going to process all that music production.

Find something with an intel core i7 or something redick like that & at least 8 gigs of ram FTW

If you're looking to grab a Mac, this one is pretty close to your budget:

Apple MacBook Pro MGX72LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION), Amazon.com

Personally, I use a PC, though.
I've always gotten good bang-for-the-buck from CyberPowerPC - check out their "Fang" series laptops:

CyberpowerPC FANGBOOK EVO HFX7-400 17.3-Inch Laptop (2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4770MQ Processor, 16GB SO-DIMM, 750GB HDD, Windows 8), Amazon.com

You get LOTS of RAM with the Fang, a current-model flagship i7 processor rather than a watered-down i5, etc.

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Back