HELP :| Recording Vox via Cubase 5 & Yamaha MW10

Aeternitas

Hi All,

Ok, so my little old TASCAM US-144 has packed it in and has been put aside, and I now have a Yamaha MW10 USB mixer/interface that i picked up off eBay for a steal. I've powered it up, got sound coming out via my monitors when I play my Cubase 5 projects, HOWEVER... I can't quite seem to get Cubase 5 to pick up ANY signal from my condensor mic. Phantom Power is on, and when I turn the channel output level up, I can hear the mic play thru the monitors when I speak/test the mic.... So I guess I know the mic is working, and the phantom power hasn't shat itself...

So my question is this and I REALLY hope someone out there could shed some light onto this for me:

In Cubase 5's Device Manager, how do I need to set up the Yamaha MW10 mixer inputs in order to be able to record via the phantom powered mic channels 1, 2, 3/4 & 5/6?

I truly believe that this is a Cubase device setup issue rather than hardware, but i'm no expert.

If anyone has ANY advice, i'd really appreciate it. If you need any further info, please let me know and i'll reply as soon as possible. Attached below is a pic of the mixer - I only need to use 1 of the 4 balanced mic jacks. Also attached is a screen shot of my device setup within Cubase 5.

MW10-f387f4474c1ac5cbb3ddb19799c42119.jpgCubase Device.jpg

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Kind thanks,

J.

The mixer only sends a stereo pair/two mono tracks via the USB connection, not all the individual tracks.

I don't know about Cubase, but most DAWs (for example Sonar) will have a "cue mix" function, which is the routing mixer and has the inputs that you need to activate to get sound from your interface into your DAW-proper (in this case, Cubase). If you can't find it, I'd search the help files for either "cue mix" or "setting input gain;" something like that should get you where you want to be...

GJ

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

PS-- Initially I couldn't see your mixer picture, so I didn't realize you were talking about ahardware mixer with USB. But yes, what Krushing said. You still need to get the computer to "see" the incoming signal. Do a search in your particular program for "input level," "input gain," "cue mix." That should give you the steps to set things up for Cubase.

GJ

Firstly, Krushing, thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

For my current needs, I will never need to capture/record audio from more than 1 input source. I think I understand what you're saying - in my VST connections, I would only need one BUS: a Stereo In, and use the L(Mono) channel for the mic, right? If this is correct, that's pretty much what i've been trying... i just can't get Cubase to pick up more than an EXTREMELY faint signal. I have all the latest ASIO drivers and Yamaha MW10 drivers.

I'll try to attach a couple more screenshots for your reference a little later when I get back onto my PC.

Rhythmgj, cheers for your suggestion, I guess I've never really had to do that with my previous interface, but I will definitely check it out and see how I go with it. I have been playing around with the Input Gain on the channel which i've plugged the mic to on the mixer but there hasnt been any progress...

For the sake of troubleshooting, i'm going to try setting it all up on my laptop and via different DAWS on both Laptop and PC... just need to rule out whether it is PC related, hardware related, driver related or software related... it's gonna be a long day. Now to install Reaper again!

Thanks again for your help.

J.

Last edited:
Back