Help! Ive been Firewired!

Invi<tusOne

ok so heres the basic problem. My Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24 doesnt play well in the sandbox with my pc, but i KNOW that the problem is coming from my pc. heres why.

I went shopping for an interface early this year and wound up with a line6 ux2. Now i should say that i need my interface for not just recording guitar input, but also handling a vst setup in cubase with a reason rewire. I plugged in the ux2, and was so upset by the latency issues that i brought it back and upgraded to the focusrite. The ux2 was having constant pops and drop-outs of sound that it was completely un-useable. At least i was able to play audio files and watch movies on my pc the UX2, but once i plugged in the focusrite, audio lagged the pc so bad, i wouldnt be able to play even youtube flash videos! and my daws? forget about it. The guitar input woud sound scratchy and even playing mp3 files was pathetic.

Ive played with the idea that perhaps its an issue with the firewire port on my motherboard, but i have no idea how to tell its not working correctly. Ive done all i can to update drivers and "optimize" the basic pc settings. Nothing helps. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

below are the specs for my system (self - built)

msi p7n diamond mobo
4 gigs ram
dual core intel cpu
500gig hd
BFG nvidia gpu 500gt
windows vista 32 bit

my system runs fairly clean, but even before i bought the new interfaces, i noticed that it would have problems running cubase if there were more than 5 or 6 instruments. reason has always worked like a dream, except with the cards.

What is the FW chipset on you Mobo?
Try picking up a FW card and running the interface off of that.

Sorry for my shots in the dark, but I'm a Mac user so I probably won't be as helpful as someone else. These are the first two things that I would look into though.

Back