Having a computer built

Destinationup

tell me what you think of this set up. you can recommend individual pieces and other websites. i know of tiger direct.com and new egg. I need to get this stuff cheaper. the people that are building it they tried to get me to buy a 60 optical drive. hecks no. and that's only one.

6gb corsair ddr3 RAM
1. AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT75TFBGRBOX
2. BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 251.99 (NE)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AOC 19' display
1 TB SATA HDD
lITE ON DRIVE

Do you have any idea how badly you just pissed me off?

Last March I bought a quad core AMD for the same price as the six core AMD core now!!!! aaaahhhhhhh!! LOL. Damn I hate technological advancement.

Question... what DAW are you using? And does it have a 64bit version? Reason being... if your DAW doesn't have a 64bit version, 6GB of RAM is overkill, since it won't be able to use it. So double check that before you shell out the money.

Also... if your DAW does have a 64 bit version... then check to see what plugins you have since most are still in 32bit. If that's the case... you'll need to get JBridge (unless your DAW has a built-in bitbridge).

You could also save a little money on the hard-drive. 500GB might be enough for you... depending on what you're doing and how many sounds/ or large VST libraries you have. 500GB is more than enough for me and I have some GINORMOUS libraries of sounds. It'll probably last me another good year's worth of recording (unless I go completely nuts).

The CD drive should be cheap... at least $20. No sense is spending anymore on it than that really.

Also.. don't forget the computer case. Not sure if you have one or not.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

And in regards to the computer case... you'll want to make sure it either A) has a strong enough power supply or B) you get a case without a built-in power supply and just add one yourself (the ones sold separately usually are better quality)

Do you have any idea how badly you just pissed me off?

Last March I bought a quad core AMD for the same price as the six core AMD core now!!!! aaaahhhhhhh!! LOL. Damn I hate technological advancement.

Question... what DAW are you using? And does it have a 64bit version? Reason being... if your DAW doesn't have a 64bit version, 6GB of RAM is overkill, since it won't be able to use it. So double check that before you shell out the money.

Also... if your DAW does have a 64 bit version... then check to see what plugins you have since most are still in 32bit. If that's the case... you'll need to get JBridge (unless your DAW has a built-in bitbridge).

You could also save a little money on the hard-drive. 500GB might be enough for you... depending on what you're doing and how many sounds/ or large VST libraries you have. 500GB is more than enough for me and I have some GINORMOUS libraries of sounds. It'll probably last me another good year's worth of recording (unless I go completely nuts).

The CD drive should be cheap... at least $20. No sense is spending anymore on it than that really.

Also.. don't forget the computer case. Not sure if you have one or not.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

And in regards to the computer case... you'll want to make sure it either A) has a strong enough power supply or B) you get a case without a built-in power supply and just add one yourself (the ones sold separately usually are better quality)

Yea I understand how you feel in tech advancement. I spent almost 500 bucks for sonar 8.5 and now its only 399 I think.
The guys that are building it for me, will be providing the the computer case and they know I need a strong power supply. I was quite lucky to find the motherboard and CPU combo.

The reason I decided to go with the 1tb was because it was cheap and I seen some of the 500 gb and 640 hard drives and they run around the same price. they're like 60. but this one only cost me 70 so i figured i'd just get the most I could now.
Also I don't know exactly how much my ending set up once I began progressing through production will take up. Because I know one of the synths I want takes up 50gb for all the sounds and then one is like 100 gb of space must be available.. And then I'll be working with other programs as well.

@CPphoenix, don't feel bad bro; the rate at which computer technology is moving, the moment you buy something it's already outdated and something better for the same amount of money is available 3-6 months later.

@DestinationUp, I'm a big computer nerd--so take my advice and stay away from AMD for now. They were good about 5 years ago, but have seriously fallen behind Intel. In fact, AMD's latest and greatest Quad-Core Black Edition processors care barely keep up with Intel's 3 year old dual core processors (do a Google search on comparisons and you'll see). If overclocking your processor is not a priority, I'd recommend picking up a Sandy Bridge 2500k Intel, they're just about the same price as a top of the line AMD Black (shop around). However, if you're like me, then pick up a 2600k processor and you'll be able to overclock the hell out of it (from 3.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz+).

Back