Got all these beats. What's the next step(s)?

RobBirchwood

Sup,
I been makin' beats for a couple years now, writing a lot of music, recording a buncha artists etc. etc.
Problem is I haven't gotten myself out there one bit besides mentions here and there from the artists I've recorded.
I know I'll get somewhere with this cuz I have a unique sound, but what's the point if I don't do anything with it!
I don't expect anyone to hold my hand and cross the street with me but I would like to at least be pointed in the right direction by people who have been here/done this already and had success with it.
There's probably a bunch of guides I could be tirelessly reading through but I'd rather get something a little more personal and not so much cookie-cutter type shit.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you, so I cant really answer this question. Just letting you know, your not alone. :)

I'm 36 and unknown in hiphop after having a nearly 10 year hiatus from music production altogether.
In my late teens/early 20s I played in a band. We had moderate success, tour'd regular with some some fairly big bands and we got good reviews. So although, my experience in hiphop production is limited; I've seen a fair bit of other parts of the music industry.
Since then, I've done a couple of years doing arts marketing stuff for visual artists and theatre makers until major cuts to arts funding here in the UK force me to look for other work.
Currently I work in purchasing and procurement for an educational institution.

So I know some stuff about selling.
and I know some stuff about buying.

You've already done some work with some artists so you're ahead of the game from most... You need to let people know what you've done and who with...

You work with artist-1... You let his fans know about the work you're doing with artist-2 and vice-versa.
Know your market and exploit the crossovers.
This is something you should be doing as standard

You have several options but I'd combine.

Keep working with as many artists as possible - put away as much cash as possible.

Find an artist you absolutely rate - who rates you - someone savvy who can talk and walk and work as exclusively with him/her as you can afford, branding yourselves both as a group and as individual musicians/artists. This won't make you money but it makes you more than just some guy who sells beats online.

Become part of a collective that supports each other's moves - if possible timetable your releases/shows with this group; Be organised. Make it so that you're a major part a bigger thing. A scene that's constantly doing stuff - when you're working on your stuff, you're supporting this guy who just released - when he's working on his stuff he's supporting your release.

Branding is gonna be key for you. When people see your name on something they have to believe that it's fire before they even listen. Successful branding is made easier by being part of something larger.

CDBABY IS SOMETHING YOU COULD ASK ABOUT I JOINED AND UPLOADED YESTERDAY. iTS FREE OR CHEAP TO PUT ON cd BABY.COM AND MONEY TO EGT ON LIKE NAPSTER.

Sup,
I been makin' beats for a couple years now, writing a lot of music, recording a buncha artists etc. etc.
Problem is I haven't gotten myself out there one bit besides mentions here and there from the artists I've recorded.
I know I'll get somewhere with this cuz I have a unique sound, but what's the point if I don't do anything with it!
I don't expect anyone to hold my hand and cross the street with me but I would like to at least be pointed in the right direction by people who have been here/done this already and had success with it.
There's probably a bunch of guides I could be tirelessly reading through but I'd rather get something a little more personal and not so much cookie-cutter type shit.
Thanks!

I haven't reached the level of success that I am shooting for yet. But I know how I plan to get there.

The first step for you would be to get your music out there to as many platforms available. Do you have any of your music online?

I'm in the same boat. My problem though is that I'm lazy. I went to school with a couple really big producers, they know me by name, but still, I didn't take enough risks to get to where they are. Now that I'm more focused, I'm trying to improve my craft to the level where I can feel comfortable to be in a room with these guys and just make a beat, knowing damn well that I'll impress. I'm almost there. I just don't want to be that guy... "yooooo remember me from high school?? Put me onnnnnn". I want help of course, but I need to make a name for myself first, and I've never worked with an artist. All i've ever done was make beats and combine it with an acapella. Not good enough. I know I need to get out there, shake some hands, talk to real artists and get some work DONE.

Until then though... keep grinding.
My music is in my signature

Back