Good Mixing Equipment?

Zkeeling15

I am looking to invest in some speakers for mixing my music. Not looking to spend over 200. What would be my best options?

With that budget you shouldn't invest in speakers at all. You can get a much better benefit for that amount of money if you use it to put up some acoustic treatment. Trust me. What you should do is find a place that sells Owens Corning 703 2'x4' panels. With a budget of $200, you would have to go with 2" thick panels since it would cost you $200 for 6 4" thick panels. Buy 6 2" inch thick panels. Go to walmart and buy burlap and spray glue. Wrap the panels and find a cheap way to mount them on the wall. Put two of them side by side on the left and right walls halfway the distance between you and your current speakers, make sure they are 2" off the wall. Then find a way to hang 2 of them on the ceiling halfway the distance between you and your speakers, again 2" space off the ceiling. Those 6 panels will be the best $200 you will ever spend when it comes to mixing upgrades. Yeah it may scare you to think about mounting them and all that but do yourself a favor and spend the time to learn how to do it. Normally you would want 4" thick panels but you cant get 6 of them and the other stuff you need to wrap and hang them for $200. Really you should just save another $100 and get the 4" in thick panels, but thats up to you. Youll still hear an amazing difference with those first reflection panels up. Also, if your speakers are on your desk you should take them off. Move your desk forward if you need but you should put your speakers behind your desk to minimize the reflections coming off the desk and into your ears.

If you're on a budget as tight at that, I would recommend saving another $200, and grabbing a pair of M-Audio BX5's. They are versatile, and have an overall flat response to the sheer dynamic range of the monitors, even separately. Quality over quantity. You could waste (and I mean that literally) $200 on a pair of monitors that you will inevitably replace in a year or two years time, OR you could just save the money and get a solid start with good dynamic range, and flat response. Don't forget your panels!

Back