forgotten how to write lyrics!!

R

rurokenji

hi guys,

I have forgotten how to write lyrics. I used to write lyrics like everyday. It would just come to me naturally. However, i stopped for like 3 or 4 weeks due to being busy and now, i can't even write anything. It's like i have ideas but i don';t know how to put them into a song, anymore. When i try to write lines it always ends up as if i am writing a paragraph or essay. Guys, any tips as to how i can get back my mojo? Should i go back to analyzing other artists lyrics or something?

Help!?

Thanks

It happens to me too, a lot actually. But there is certain time i get back to it i don't know how. Its probably because of the beat. If i feel the beat i write songs.. Listen to some good as beat if you feel it it should come back to ya.

Last edited:
Yeah, i totally agree with you. Like sometimes if i listen to a good song or a song with a sick beat, i immediately get the beat sorta in my head and just flow my ideas from there at night..U sally happens when i listen to a song too many times

Just keep writing. Write a whole 24 bar verse right now, and if it's shit, write another tomorrow.

I also agree, listening to good beats inspires me.

It will come back :) There are a few odd triggers and situations I've noticed that usually result in new song ideas/verses for me, maybe I'm not alone:

1.) Taking a shower or bath (not sure why, but great new ideas tend to flow here...usually in verse or melody :) )

2.) Doing something physical (riding my bike, dancing, running around etc...I think this has something to do with endorphins that could elevate mood/creativity)

3.) Time alone (specifically used to reflect). Some of my best verses just kind of...explode out of me in a moment of catharsis. Usually I'll be ruminating over a situation for a while and it will culminate in a great little verse with melody.

4.) Sleep. At times I've dreamed lyrics/small portions of songs. (Apparently so did Prince with Manic Monday). It's bizarre; sometimes they make sense in the dream but are like gobbledy-gook to the waking mind. Other times they still remain interesting/potentially usable.

5.) A similar creative outlet (something expressive like painting, dancing, writing prose, etc). Sometimes parallel crafts can enhance your work or free you from a block. If you're temporarily struggling with written language/lyrics maybe try resorting to visual imagery or drawing for a bit.

Don't force it though...unless you have a specific project or deadline. Good luck!

~R

i believe it comes to me best when i am in bed, just about to sleep. Like i dunno if it's because that's when i am reflecting about the day or life. You've dreamed lyrics in your sleep? Wow, that is quite cool! So how did it appear in your dreams? Like a voice or something?

Yeah, forcing it is probably the worse thing you can do. Or treating it like a homework assisgnement hah

When you making idea, include to your idea any words, and sing your idea.
And write save, and fix each words to meaning.

You just have a simple case of writer's block. It's very normal.
Just keep writing little notes/phrases that you think sound interesting.
Even if they are average lyrics, just keep writing.

To get your mojo back you just need to get your brain's creative juices flowing again.
The only way to do that is to keep writing everyday.
Practice is the key,always has been.

If you're an artist and this happens to you, most likely it's because you've lost touch with your songwriting abilities and you haven't learned a method or solution to the problem. What you must take from this is to understand and know that writing is a habit and a habit is the overlapping of knowledge, skill, and attitude. Form writing habits based on researching everything to your advantage that will increase your writing beyond the threshold of your limits and you'll find it a lot easier trust me

Back