FL Studio Mixing Voices

RippersRecords

Hello, i want to mix some Rap voices on FL Studio 12 & 11. How i do this ? What is the workflow and the effects to apply ? Thanks

Mixing isn't a formula to identically apply to every song. Each song needs something different. And each source sound is starting from a different place.

The basic tools people use when mixing vocals are compression, EQ, reverb, and delay. If you don't know how to use these comfortably, experiment until you do. YouTube videos may help. Doubling can also help thicken vocals, so consider it next time you're recording.

If you don't know where to begin, start by trying to replicate the vocal sound in a song you like. When you're listening to the professionally mixed song, is the vocal crisper than yours? If so, boost the highs of your vocal with EQ. Is the vocal more forward, and does it have less volume variation than yours? Try compression. Does the vocal sound like it is in a room or space? Try adding reverb. Etc.

If you can reverse-engineer how a vocal sounds in a song, you just reverse-engineered what it would take to get your vocal recording to sound like the pro song you love listening to. Learn, practice, and then get creative.

In FL Studio, I tend to send my Vocal channel into an send where I'll add a stereo imager to widen the vocals in the mix and even compression to make the vocals powerful. Keep in mind the Vocal channel is in mono still and with the stereo imager in the send channel, you can control the volume of the send Channel allowing you to determine how much of the imaging/compression effect you want on the vocals.

To use a send channel in your mixer, you would route the vocal channel to a send which will allow you to pass anywhere from 0% to 100% of the vocals signal. 0% being there is no signal, hence no imaging on the vocals and 100% being full signal and full imaging effect on the vocals. You can control this by using the fader on the send to increase or decrease imaging/compression effect.

Using sends for time-based effects (Reverbs, Delays, etc) is highly recommended for more control in the mix.

Also, try using a compression on the vocal channel too! This will add something called parallel compression to the vocals and really bring out quality (if used properly).

Audio Recording Tips - Improve Your Sound

Last edited:
Back