First mix...

czeski

Hello everyone!

I would like to present you my firs mix...

I know, that I need to make my bass more deep, pianos sound a little bit like they're in some room or sth, bass doesn't play well with pianos, and generally pianos create some chaos in the track (I have that kind of impression)... But I don't know how to make it better.. I'm still novice.

So please - if you have any advice - give me some feedback and more importantly - at least say by which technique I can achieve sattisfying result. BTW I don't know why my hats and crashes sound completely diferrently on Soundcloud. Probably bad mix. Why is this happening?

Thanks for feedback!

Piano doesn't sound too bad, maybe add a little reverb and lower the volume on it (maybe even copy and paste it an octave or two lower on a lower velocity). Brass sounds "cheap" and sits on top of everything rather than within the mix. As for the bass if you focused on getting the attack to be crisper and a little more resonant (not sure if that's the right word) it would work wonders for the lows. Synths/leads maybe add either a slight delay or slight reverb and drop the volume .5-1 db. As for your percussion, have you tried panning the individual notes and working with the velocity of your notes to give a more natural sound and also help fill in a few of the "gaps" of your upper-mids/highs.

What do you mean by brass? From brass I have only trombone and it plays only 3 notes in the whole piece :P

Well, whatever sound comes in at ~1:43 is the sound I was referring to as being the "brass"

-Mojo

Either by choosing HQ samples/sounds or you could attempt to adjust your EQ on them and add small amounts of reverb and work with the panning and velocity of the notes. If they are the sound you want but they just sound weak to you, you could even layer the sounds to help strengthen the presence of them (if you do this route definitely work with your panning and your velocity so that things aren't overpowering your mix)

-Mojo

P.S if you could give me some feedback on this beat I'd appreciate it bro.

Last edited:
Mojo - nice arrangement. I like that. I like the beginning also. I would change snare. And that sound that enters about 0:23. It's too crispy or something. Something is wrong with that. I see you have similiar problem with hats, crashes, etc. in your track. I hear they are not so natural. But it's not such a big problem for you like for me. Because it sounds better than my hats :P

About my bass- unfortunately I can't change its attack, because it's boobass. Do you suggest some VST that would fit nicely into my track?

Thanks.

PS: Where can I find these organs that you used in this track?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback- as for the sound at 0:23 its 2 synths layered to give more of a saw type sound, and the hats aren't really suppoed to be hi hats in this track, more of a ping pong sound to add a little dynamics to the beat.

As for bass, at the moment I use only 808 samples, but I'm sure that Kontakt or Massive would have some good bass patches, even nexus might (not too sure about nexus though).

-Mojo

Yeah man it's good, maybe at 2:43 the synth organ could go down and the other synth in the background could come through a bit more and that EQ'd snare could do with a little more high and less high lower mids, but yeah thats' more personal preference :P
Good job though

@Mojo:

What do you mean when you say brass sounds cheap? What's wrong with that? What should I change?

How can I add width on my piano? Which plugin? And how does it work?

Thanks! :)

Back