First ever beat, now mixed and EQ!

S

SizzlinKola

First time utilizing EQ/mixing on my first ever beat! Let me know if I did a good/shitty job and any suggestions/general advice are welcome! I do plan to have my friend spit a verse on this so if any of you have advice on that, that'd be great too!

https://soundcloud.com/sizzlinkola/copy

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a nice work for first try. I ilke that melody of the piano line. It could have a better sound with proper mixing and raise up the drum sounds volume than other instruments sounds. Good Work.

Thanks for the feedback!

- I feel you EQ'd way too much -- all the frequencies from all the instruments and drums are cut off to a point where the beat feels like it was recorded in like the 1800's (exaggerating)
- Maybe its cuz of the drums sound that way? or if its the EQ? I'm not sure
- Try taking off the EQ and see what happens
- Turn down the strings in the hook -- they're a bit too loud
- Composition is alright -- i like how you changed up the chords in the hook
- The drums definitely need to be brought up

It sounds pretty good for a first beat ever!

My advice to make it even better would be to maybe throw in a slow rising sweep or for the first part where you have only your piano melody going. Also you could vary your piano melody a little more, but depending on your friends vocal this might be good enough. You could also try adding another high hat or changing up the velocity on the one that you already have. (It sounds pretty good already though and sometimes too much kills a track so it's all up to you.)

Well done overall! Keep it up man!

Not bad, at least showing some evidence of listening to instrumentals in depth.
I'd agree with the mix, drums are too far back in the mix. I'd also recommend practicing remaking some of your favourite unsampled beats, you'll pick up a lot of tricks.

Hope this helps. Sorry on the late returns. Keep at it.

For your first beat this is pretty good, way better than I was lol. Couple things I would suggest would be to raise the kicks, sound way to low in my opinion. Lower the Strings some but not by much. I would suggest better claps, they just don't sound like that feel in but that's just me. The beat is decent though, really liking the Piano.

Returning feed.
Quite good job. But as others have said: drums should be louder (or everything else shoud be lower :D). And of course you should keep working on the mixing. However, as for the first beat, not so bad at all. Keep working

Back