Feedback on my rapping/original song?

epidemikmusic

First off, I'm white.. :pointing: Lol kidding aside, I produced this song and I wanted to rap over it.. Mainly for fun since it was recorded on a USB mic. Eh, but I was wondering if I had any potential before I invested in a real mic and audio interface. The chorus was sampled so ignore that. My style of music I kinda want to be a cross between rock and rap. So I try to incorporate live instruments into my songs. Anyways, yeah or no? Lol don't worry, I have thick skin... No feelings will be hurt.

Just a heads up, I am not really going to judge it to much since I don't make that type of music or listen to it that much, but I will still say what I think. Well I just listen to rap sooo yea who I am I to judge music I don't listen to but I guess I can still say my thoughts. :D

IMO this is not rap, I rap and I don't think this is rap I think its like ummm rock? I know what you ment by rap+Rock but it still sounds like rock because now days rock rhymes almost like rap does so I still thought of this as a more rock song over rap. Basically it sounds like the type of songs I hear nickle back ect on the radio and they are considered rock ain't they?

Anyways how long have you been writing/or singing or whatever. You said do you have potential.... you see there is a problem when you ask people that because not all people are bright. Take a guess which rapper SUCKS MAJOR DICK before they were good??? Take a guess who I am about to say? Oh I got proof too.... EMINEM...... yes Eminem ONCE sucked. If you don't believe me you can look up his oldest songs that you can find, this is songs OLDER Than anything he has released.

This was the test that I did : I played those super old eminem songs where he was crap and nobody could tell it was him.
I ask them the question : Does this rapper suck? Most people said YES some said ehhhhhh its not the greatest.
Then I tell them..... you do realize that is Eminem? Then people get shocked.

Thats why I say alot of people can start off bad but become insanely good to the point its almost a different person. This takes years though.
So this is why I hardly ever tell someone that they should just give up because that would almost mean people who used to suck would not be famous right now if they just gave up.

My thoughts are - I can IMAGINE it better, meaning that based on my imagination I believe that if you had someone teaching you how to record/sing ect that you would sound 100x better than this. I noticed that some parts of the song your rhythm aka flow was off a bit, I'm sure you can tell... its some of the parts where you didn't say a line perfect with the rest, but its okay because in my mind I know how its SUPPOSE to sound, you see some people like me can THINK of what it would sound like other people just see work for what it is instead of thinking how something WOULD sound if that person recorded a different way ect.

My opinion is that, its not that bad but it doesn't sound the greatest BECAUSE of how you recorded but again I told you that you can sound better because I can imagine how its suppose to sound in my head since I record shit. Basically I think you need more voices on your voice and it would sound better but its annoying because you have to match your voice up perfect each time.

Its called vocal stacking which means you record your verse, then after you recorded it you record IT AGAIN so that when you have more than one voice it makes your voice sound bigger or better, sometimes the instrumental makes your voice sound weaker so you have to do this. Basically its like you have 4 voices going on at one time but you can turn the volumes down so that it seems like one voice.

Also to me it seemed like you were holding back a bit, I can imagine that you can put some more emotion or something into it, it felt like when I used to rap 85% of my best until I actually get 1000% in the mood then I rap with more emotion.

So to answer if you should continue : I say yes, depending on how long you have been at it already. I say depending on how long because if you have been doing it for 20 years and still sound the same then obviously you would be doing something wrong. I assume you haven't been dong this for even 6 years yet so my advice is.

#1 When recording make sure flow is on point - its hard to do when you get out of breath or screw up at the very end but its best to just keep re-doing it until there are no mess ups and every line is perfect.
#2 I personally think you could put more emotion or sing stronger because to me it felt like you were holding something back other wise I would not imagine it sounding better in my head.
#3 -If you buy better equipment then you can make your voice sound better, and if you learn to stack vocals/mix ect all the hard shit that nobody likes doing you will sound even better.

Don't give up unless you think its not for you or its actually that bad, because alot of people who are famous used to suck some D.

This is my ghetto response but its better than what anyone else gave you so far lol

Yeah i'd classify this as rock, but i see what you were trying to do, you shoulda changed up the instruments to more of a hip-hop style melody and maybe even the drums when the song is in it's verses that way it could be considered more hip-hop/rock. the hook could be a little louder or have a few effects on the vocals and your vocals need to be alot more present in the mix, they're kinda behind the instrumental. Keep it up just keep working at it

Check my shitt out @ https://www.futureproducers.com/for...fe-sampledd-instrumental-free-d-l-new-474381/

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I appreciate the feedback. I guess you're saying there's really no flow there in my verses? I'm not sure what it was during the verses then? Cause I wasn't singing, so I guess it's just me talking over music... lol

I was NOT saying you had NO flow, I was just saying that on certain parts I can tell that you didn't flow a certain line right. You know how every line is suppose to be on point, you would have lets say 3 lines perfect then on your 4th line you would not match the flow exactly, basically your voice was a tiny bit off. NOT on all of it just some parts. What I was just saying was if you mess up to re-record it until you get every line flowing the same, sometimes you mess up because of having to breath ect so its annoying but its better to just keep re-recording it until you get everything perfect.

2:56 is what I mean, some words sound a tiny bit off like you could have said them more perfect to match each other more. Eh... I don't get if you know what I mean, if you say certain words too fast then it will not match and if you say it to slow it will not match. What I do is re-record to see if I can make the lines match, meaning does the flow sound the same on each line.

If not then what I will do is take out a word/replace a word or add a word until each line flows perfect with each other.

You have a flow, I was just pointing out that on some parts you were off and it should have been re-recorded.
The other thing I pointed out is that I felt you were holding back, even if it doesn't feel like you are holding back sometimes you are.... I have songs where I would sound just alright but if I am in the mood and recorded the same song it would song way better just because I was more eh emotion I guess you could say? Like I ment it more.

Back