External Hard Drive?

X

XavierSharp

I have a lacie 250gb external hdd although I was thinking of buying a 2tb (Lacie Big Disk Extreme + Triple 2TB) but if you can recommend others then please do so!

My real question is, if I put the sounds (drums, synths, samples, etc) on the external hdd and run logic from my MacBook Pro, would it slow or lag the sounds in anyway? And what about creating logic projects on the external hard drive and creating the projects that way?

Thanks,
Xavier Sharp

Wow! How sad it would be to told you I get the same question 3 years later but, unfortunately, there's no answer here. Someone now? Pls?

I'm no computer tech or anything, but from my experience it seems to depend on what you need to do and how the external is connected. There's 3 main connection types right now, unless u count USB3.0 or thunderbolt (or whatever its called lol). There's USB 2.0, Firewire, and eSata.

I tested out doing this on my older computer since it didn't have much space. USB seemed to be sufficient to do this, especially for simply triggering samples. But performance doesn't seem to be optimal for large sample libraries that trigger boatloads of sample data with one note. ESata was faster, but was much less stable in my experience. And I unfortunately didn't try firewire... I suspect it would have been better than USB and more stable than eSata.

If u have a desktop, a much better solution would be to just install another internal SATA hard drive. 7200rpm minimum.

If u only have a laptop, id try a firewire external. Usb was okay, but depending on what ur doing u might have some reduced performance.

Just bought a 2tb USB 3 Seagate external drive $153 AU. At ten times the speed of USB 2, it takes on Sata (my internal drives are SATA) and firewire.

Back