Expanding your sounds

The Hooligans

So as of late I have really been focusing on completing projects and just experimenting to get the overall feel of how the process is supposed to go. After a few weeks of doing this I can see I have progressed a lot. My next obstacle is my sounds or drum kits. I have a hard time finding good sounds. Most drum kits on the net are recycled. Are there any websites that are better than others? Also what about sampling? Could I take an instrumental I like and chop up the sounds that I want. Also is it this simple? Any feedback is appreciated.

What DAW do you have?

In Ableton I have Sampler. All I do is record into an audio lane. Then for example I drag and drop the section to my SAMPLER in Live Suite 8. From there I can play it like a synth.

What kind of drums are you looking for? Maybe I can help ya! Ableton has a lot of good drum options. And I like Mo phatt by cakewalk. I just bought Pulse for cheap too by Sonivox. It a sampler too well see how it works later.

many producers use the same drums .. it is what is from that aspect.. but if you want to get more sounds.. buy some vst's

Thanks for the replies, I should of been more detailed.

I have many VST's such as Kontakt, Nexus, Purity, Gladiator etc

What I am looking for would be more like snares, hats, different types of percussions or bells. Many of the drumkits I find seem to be very underwhelming or just be the exact same thing as others. I have the 808 Mafia complete drumkit and that is the best I have come across. It has many SFX, 808's a few decent hi hats and percs. I am mainly just looking for drumkits atm because I don't think I have mastered the VST's I have so no need in adding more to the equation.

Again thanks for the responses

Last edited:
with your synth you can make your own kick drum, sweeps and rythms and leads...then download some latin percussion packs....bongos, conga, timbales etc they add flavour. add a pack that has cowbell toms hihats crash ride snare

new snares and kicks aren't going to take your music to the top.. it'll probably make your beats marginally better.. work on sound selection and melody creation

Back