Ensoniq ASR-10 Tips

K

Keswick

Hey, I'm new to the site, so first and foremost I just wanted to say big-ups to everybody on the grind tryna do their thing. For the last 7 years or so, I have been making beats using the Sony Acid Pro Series, various samples, a keyboard, and Sony's built in synth, and quite honestly I have become bored by this process. Just recently I watched a video on youtube of Kanye making beats with the Ensoniq ASR-10, and have decided to venture out and purchase one and try to make beats this way. Does anyone have any tips/pointers/suggestions on the entire process of uploading, chopping, arranging, and mixing on the ASR-10. I don't really even know where to begin. I know I can probably figure it out on my own, but I am off to college in the fall, and want to learn it as quick as possible so I can get a headstart when i go to school. A step-by-step process of making a beat using the ASR-10 would be GREATLY appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

I dont know bout forking out for the asr 10. It is an old school piece of kit. But, dont get me wrong it is still usable. However, I would personally in an MPC such as the Roland MV8800 or even one of the new Akai MPC models. These are very hands on production kits aand include a sampler etc to chop up those samples and drum breaks. Check them out.

Dont reach back unless you have a reason to . Get something with newer technology if you ask me. a mpc2500 or fantom/motif if you want sampling and keyboard sounds. Really.

yeah but don't mpc's run pretty expensive as opposed to spending around $500-$600 on an ASR-10 which is still used by professional big-time producers like Kanye West, Timbaland, the Neptunes, and Alchemist?

Yea they sound great and have alot of features but parts are getting hard to find if something goes wrong. I got one for 400 with a bad screen. Cost me another 460 to fix it and the shop had it for almost 3 months. Now im searching for a scsi kit and having a hell of a time. But if your mind is on it ,go for it. I feel like i have too much invested to part with it now and its a classic so im dealing with the floppies til i find a scsi kit. anyway -good luck

No one has really been trying to answer your original question. Search for "asr-10" on Youtube (I can't post links) to find some tutorials and videos of other people working with it. That should help you get the basics.

Good luck!

did it not come with a manual?

i recently got one and if you just read through the manual and browse round the net, you'll find everything you need

Yea they sound great and have alot of features but parts are getting hard to find if something goes wrong. I got one for 400 with a bad screen. Cost me another 460 to fix it and the shop had it for almost 3 months. Now im searching for a scsi kit and having a hell of a time. But if your mind is on it ,go for it. I feel like i have too much invested to part with it now and its a classic so im dealing with the floppies til i find a scsi kit. anyway -good luck

Scsi options for the asr are becoming a thing of the past too. I'm seeing some being retro fitted with card readers now. This is the route I've been wanting to take for some time since I've lost tons of floppies I had collected over the years.

A friend of mine still has his asr along with the complete original sound library. This is how I plan to do the transfers from floppy to card disk myself.

Back