Electronic drums

[Shizo]

Any experienced drummers out there?

I want to buy a set of electronic drums this year.

Just looking for something GOOD and not too professional (and therefore expensive). Hopefully with drum positioning close to a standard set, good sensitivity and 2-3 cymbals.

What would you recommend me?

I'm not that experienced and as such I've only come across the usual Yamaha style models, I haven't seen one with a hi-hat foot pedal but I have seen ones with double-kicks. My friend has one with loads of great 'world' sounds, china cymbals and all that, I think it was reasonably priced.

Best thing to do is try them out, I know that sounds rudimentary.

I think the Alesis stuff is pretty nice. I think theyre biggest kit is about 1000 and comes with some nice cymbals too.

Yes the roland kits seem to have the edge in terms of feel , my cousin has one of these sets .
The thing I found is the drums sound pretty good , but I didn't like the cybmal/hihat sounds .

I don't think you'll be using the 'sounds' from the electronic brain much. The software is so good now you'll want to use it as a trigger only. maybe...maybe not....

I got the Alesis USB Pro Kit and I'm learning a bit more about why the Roland stuff is so damned expensive. The Roland sensitivity seems to be better applied in the programming to adding variance to the triggering. I like my kit but I can see where Roland stuff is a step up.

Storm:

Drum samples seem to have been progressing like this:

1. One sample - velocity controls volume
2. Multi-samples - velocity controls what sample will be played, with one sample per velocity level
3. Humanization - sounds different with every hit, multiple samples per velocity level

Most electronic kits are at level 2 now. Software is at 3.

But I have a question for you. Does your Alesis kit allow you to upload your own drum samples? That's what they promise for DM10 but not for Roland (unless you buy the top off the line kit).

I was mostly referencing the velocity sensitivity on the Alesis seems less sensitive than the Roland stuff. Any positive Gain on the IO brain seems to trigger mostly the maximum samples. With no gain, you can never hit it hard enough to get the big hit sample to trigger. It's good and I love the kit but it's not been as straight forward to set as I thought it might be.

As for your question, No. It is a MIDI trigger only. I use EZDrummer, SessionDrummer (SONAR), ReDrum, and an NN-XT Vintage Kit and I really like EZ Drummer the best. I didn't need samples stored in the brain. I am all computer based.

one thing i would say, is that if you can afford them, get the mesh type drums. The pure rubber pads get really awkward in my opinion.

The new Alesis DM10 kit is supposed to have RealHeads to give a more true feel. I can't wait to check them out. I just wonder how loud they are. I am really intrigued by this set. I had a 4 tom set with my acoustic set and rarely see that in this price range.

I miss my drums and can't have them here anymore since I'm in a townhouse. I can't wait to get in a house.

I just bought an alesis dm10 with surge cymbles. It sounds great, I bought it a sweetwater.com You can pay in 3 installments for just 10 bucks, I paid 1500 for the set. Fast delivery...

QUOTE='[Shizo];48741520']Any experienced drummers out there?

I want to buy a set of electronic drums this year.

Just looking for something GOOD and not too professional (and therefore expensive). Hopefully with drum positioning close to a standard set, good sensitivity and 2-3 cymbals.

What would you recommend me?[/QUOTE]

Back