EDM Vocal Chops.....???

Chew_Bear

Are the popular chorus/drop vocal chops that you hear in EDM a result of the producer using...

A. A random vocal sample of whatever they want to use that fits their song....?

OR

B. Is it actually a word/vocal they chose to pick out of the verse of the same song...?

Sounds kind of simple but I am confused because most vocal chops seem like just 'random' filler stuff that you can create yourself.

most of the time a producer will get the acapella and put it into something such as slicex on fl. this chops up the song onto the piano roll

There are 2 different ways I chop up Vocals

1: As already mentioned, getting a verse of a track and slice up the best sounds of it, once u´ve cut enough sounds, you put it into a piano roll (I use a MPC on Cubase, it´s Groove Agent One). So now you can play with your different sliced sounds from that point on and add Reverb and Delay to make it more atmospheric.

2: You get long phrases or inhales, like these ahhhhhhh uhhhhhhh etc. put a gate on that, side-chain the gate and then I use a Hi-Hat sample to trigger this gate. So put the gate as send-effect on the Hi-Hat and every single time the Hi-Hat hits, it plays a short hit of the vocals, ofc you can change the gate a bit to make it softer etc. Make sure to select as output for the Hi-Hat NO BUS, so you don´t hear a Hi-Hat every single time it plays :D

There is a good tutorial for that on YouTube, search for Vocal Chopping Gate Effect

Back