dropping a mixtape but i dont know what to do. but this music is DOPE...help?

Master G

im a hip hop producer and im putting my first mixtape together. A 4 song mixtape and i was thinking about releasing the first single from the mixtape early. i believe in ourselves and i think this music deserves to be heard. having little marketing experience my fanbase is small and im pretty sure if i drop that mixtape now itll never be heard by anyone.

can you guys give some advice on what i should do to grow my fan base and create hype for the mixtape. what do you guys do to drop a mixtape and where do you upload it? anything will help

heres a couple snippets i put together from the upcoming mixtape. Feedback is cool too, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf6dND3PGbY

Tough love here bro: It's not dope.

the beats seem alright but the lyrics need huge work. The last one had the most potential

Releasing your mixtape without a fanbase is a very big mistake. In fact, it should be music law that you only release a mixtape if people want one. Build you name first, then when people want a mixtape, release it.
I'd recommend remixes/covers alongside your own songs to build a fanbase.

I'd recommend remixes/covers alongside your own songs to build a fanbase.

The absolute last thing I want to listen to are hip hop covers!
You put down someone else's verse and I spot it and I'm not listening to anything else you do. You just blew your credibility with me as a hip hop fan.
Mixtapes for me are a major way of finding new talent; of becoming a new fan and I'm positive I'm not alone in this; so I'm really not sure why you'd think a mixtape is a bad first move when it's been such a good first move for so many artists (?)

As far as where to drop... Dat Piff, BandCamp... There's loads of services out there man; I'm not gonna spoil your research game (cos it's important that you put in that work).

As always I'm going to suggest that you work your local scene. You might think you don't have a local scene (I refer you back to my point on research) and chances are you're wrong. It might be quiet but it's there and you gotta rep it. You need to support if you want to be supported. It's fair. Show love. Be involved.

Was talking about remixes. Rewriting to the beat / rewriting the verses. Not copying the original lyrics.

Back