Dorm Room Acoustics?

ViccControl

Hi So I'm currently living in a 13'9" x 13'2" dorm room (I'm in a single, so I don't share the room with another person). My windows are about 6 feet high and they go from one side of the wall to the other (where the desks are in the picture below). Where and how exactly would I position auralex acoustic foam? Like what part of the walls? What direction should they be rotated, and how high? The room is around 9' - 10' feet high. Thanks so much! (I want to purchase the Auralex panels that come in a pack of 24 1x1x2).

unit_1_5.gif

Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 8.52.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-21 at 8.52.11 PM.png

On the walls to the sides of you, in front, and behind you.

Though since you're pretty much in a box, I'd look into bass trapping and give that some equal thought. Those will be much harder to tame in the given environment.

If anything is in the way (the huge windows), you could always put 'em on stands and move them to the designated spot for mixing.

Thanks a lot! Could I put them on the windows? Should I also place some on the four ceiling corners? My desk is agianst my windows (I have two krk 6's on stands and a sub bass on the ground). Where can I get bass trapping panels I was looking online and they all seem to be wood. How necessary are these things? Thanks so much!!

Yeah, you could put them on the windows. As long as your RAs are cool with it. Lol.

Bass trapping is pretty important. You're rocking a sub, too, so that adds to it greatly. Honestly, you could build your own bass traps and save a ton of money. Youtube it; it's really pretty easy and will add a lot to the quality of what you're hearing. (Less resonances)

Back