Donald Passman - The Do It Yourself Record Company

galacticboy

Registered Loser
Unfortunately, GrindEFX is down for the moment (damm hax0rs!) but Donald Passman, author of "All Your Need to Know About the Music Business" (7th edition just released), has an excellent little article called The Do It Yourself Record Label up on the Tunecore blog that I thought I'd pass on.

I don't like copy-and-pasting entire posts from other blogs, but here's a snippet:
1. While it’s still difficult to get your product into stores (now it’s because they carry so few titles), physical retailers are becoming less significant as CD sales decline. Conversely, digital is on the rise, and anyone can get their music distributed digitally.
2. Radio is still very important for mainstream artists, but it’s become a very narrow channel, meaning it plays only a limited range of music genres, and not a lot of different titles. Because of this, alternative ways for people to discover music are becoming more important, and the Internet (which anyone can access) is one of the keys.
3. A direct relationship with fans is the next generation of marketing, and young artists are proving more savvy in this area than a lot of established companies.

The full article is here: http://blog.tunecore.com/2009/11/the-do-it-yourself-record-company.html

Dopeness.
I should really get that book, especially since the new revision is out.

So basically the internet is the new way to go, I still think that MySpace is dying out more and more slowly, it doesn't really have that much of value anymore, they just weren't fast enough going with the trends of the time, they started too late with switching up the formula.

Thanks for sharing the article, good read, but it's stuff that I read over and over on all those music business sites.

So this all goes back to the 360 deal, where a label has a piece of the whole pie: publishing, touring, merch.
"Yep. That's where things are headed. We're pretty much there now. Artists have to get used to that fact and understand how to make the system work for them. It can be done. You can still have a fabulous career as a musician. I wouldn't be doing this stuff if I thought all hope was lost."

For the people that think about quitting. lol ... IN YO' FACE B*TCH jk

Appreciate the hook-up. Some great things in that article. GrindEFX.com is FULL of helpful stuff also.

Appreciated.

Back