Doing a set at a club?

Yuno

Loudness Warrior
Contrary to the title of this post I have many times seen sets at clubs and I've always wanted to get started. I have a shitty DJ controller that I know would not have nearly enough shielding to block a cell phone signal let alone withstand a live performance. My question is this: is there an "in house" deck that the club might let me use? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Sorry about the ridiculous question but I honestly don't want to spend a couple big ones on some Pioneer equipment if I'm still not sure if this job is right for me.

Clubs always have their own equipment. All you gotta do is bring your laptop, records, cds etc.. Just be sure your familiar with the equipment that the club has. It would suck that you master your set with a controller only to find out that the club has equipment your not familar with.

Clubs usually have CDJs and/or turntables. My advice is to get a pair of tables or some cheap CDJs to practice with, make your demo and give it to the club owner or promoters.

Good luck!

Last edited:
most clubs would have their own gear setup already, or if not a spare pair of decks stored away in case of emergency. a lot of djs like to bring their own gear though because they feel comfortable using it instead.
if possible, before doing a gig somewhere you havent played before is go there a day or 2 in advance and check out the layout of the place so youll have an idea what kind of equipment you might need to bring... extra stuff like smoke machines, lights etc

It all depends on the clubs in the area that you live in. most clubs in memphis dont provide anything but sound. They expect djs to bring their own tables. If you are on a budget then youd be better off investing in on turntable at a time and building your setup gradually. Using serato or virtual dj you can dj with one turntable. I do it all the time because some clubs dont enough room in the dj booth for a coffin.

LA area. So I would guess if any clubs had in-house tables they would likely be here. Could be wrong... I'm new.

every club i know has his own pioneer cdj's 2000/1000 and a standard pineer mixer. can't you find out what they have

As what nick-yan said from what I have heard and seen most clubs have a djm-800 and pioneer cdj's. They are kind of industry standards lol.

Lol every club provides their equipment...mostly CDJ's. You just need to bring your lap top and tracks and ur ready to go

Back