documentary/feature about Bob James' Nautilus

Paul De Loecker

Hi everyone,

I remember having seen a documentary or a feature in which different producers discuss Bob James' Nautilus. They talk about the fact that every part of the song is sampleable, about the use of drugs in the 70's (one person talks about Bob James using drugs while he made the track and that's the reason why there are so many crazy parts in there etc) and if I'm not mistaking, 9th wonder talks about the fact that Nautilus is like a rite of passage for every producer.

Problem is, I don't remember where I've seen this ! And I've been breaking my head over it for days. I don't remember a title and it doesn't come up on youtube when looking for different combinations of "bob james" "nautilus" "documentary" "sampling" "9th wonder" etc ...

I don't think the whole video was about Nautilus though, it's just a part. I've been going through some documentaries about sampling (like copyright criminals or good copy bad copy) but can't seem to find it.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks a lot in advance,

Paul.

I see.
So you got that from 9th Wonder, but do you remember where you saw it? Anything you remember about that? Anything that could help me in my research? I've been looking for days now, starting to get a little desperate here =)

Thanks man,
Paul.

I see.
So you got that from 9th Wonder, but do you remember where you saw it? Anything you remember about that? Anything that could help me in my research? I've been looking for days now, starting to get a little desperate here =)

Thanks man,
Paul.

The link is really informative. Not sure if any video exists.

Thanks for the link, I read that article before too.
I'm 100% sure the video exists, just can't seem to find it anymore ...
Thanks anyway,
P.

yo i just found it !

it's not part of a slickly produced documentary, as i wrongly remembered, but it's a guitar center interview with pete rock, just blaze, 9th wonder, dj revolution etc ... where a person in the audience asks them what they think of "Nautilus" and they all answer one by one.

here it is for those that would like to see it @30s:

thanks for the help and enjoy !

peace
p.

Last edited by a moderator:
yo i just found it !

it's not part of a slickly produced documentary, as i wrongly remembered, but it's a guitar center interview with pete rock, just blaze, 9th wonder, dj revolution etc ... where a person in the audience asks them what they think of "Nautilus" and they all answer one by one.

here it is for those that would like to see it @30s:

thanks for the help and enjoy !

peace
p.

thats great man!

Back