Do you remember the songs you sample?

hi-ku

I was watching a video on Dilla's record collection and J-Rocc was going through the crates and looked at the record and could tell what song he sampled for what beat and it got me thinking i have to keep a folder of the songs i sampled. Do you guys have to do the same thing or do you remember?

yea i try to, beats that i like i know everyone record i sampled (for the most part). but its definetly worth knowing what records u used, especially if u need to remake a beat or get your sample cleared.

It is very important to document any samples you take well. If you ever make money off of a track with said sample in it. You will have to get it cleared, which requires a lot of specific info about the sample.

Nah, I have multiple interests oustide of music. My brain can't retain everything. I name the sample by artist but I dont list the exact song. I dont worry about sample clearance issues. I've learned from a friend that a sample clearance problem for an unknown producer is one of those few probelms you welcome. If that happens, that means:
1) You have talent and someone else likes your beats.
2)Free publicity

Last edited:
It is very important to document any samples you take well. If you ever make money off of a track with said sample in it. You will have to get it cleared, which requires a lot of specific info about the sample.

That's the difference though in keeping a catalog or remembering the sample info off the top of
your head and i think the o.p. meant the latter.

It's definitely best to organize and name your samples/chops though for future reference.
I usually just name the folder of the group and since i'm limited to characters (mpc can't read
over 7) i just take a word from the song title which i can always look up (the full title)later.

Peace

I name the sample by artist but I dont list the exact song.

this is my method as well. i normally grab a handfull of samples off of one record and dont see the point in naming them all. seems like a waste of time if you ask me. if it came down to clearing a sample, i would just go back to the record and listen for it. but in most cases i wont use a sample unless i can flip it into something entirely different from the original. its basically a remix if you dont alter the sample anyways.

I was watching a video on Dilla's record collection and J-Rocc was going through the crates and looked at the record and could tell what song he sampled for what beat and it got me thinking i have to keep a folder of the songs i sampled. Do you guys have to do the same thing or do you remember?

love that video

Back