Do you prefer to work alone or with somebody else with you?

Prosthetic

The One-Armed Bastard
I thought this will be interesting topic to discuss. Me I prefer to be by myself. I hate working with somebody else in the room, whether it's an artist or another producer. Not only do I feel pressured, but they always tend to get in the way of my creative process. When someone hits me up and is like "Yo letme come over and we'll work on a track together" they always get butthurt when I tell them no let me do the beat first solo then you can come over. Then a couple hours later they hear the beat and start bangin their head like crazy. I still have yet to disappoint.

So FP, do you like to work side by side with somebody, or are you a premadonna like me and wanna be left alone?

EDIT: Actually artists are easier to work with in the room than other producers IMO as long as they sit down and let me do my thing.

Last edited:
Would say alone, very alone. My girldfriend is very cool with me in front of the computer 10-12 hours a day sometimes, but if she's at home, I can't relax because I get a bad conscience for spending a lot time there. This get's in the way of my creative process for sure.

Oh sorry mayn. Then, I have to say I do not want to work with people IRL. Maybe meet live talk trough the project, and then go to our own studios. But really, this is only my experinces from other parts of my life, not music. But I imagine this is the way I would feel about it.

Simon AKA Nevermind

I like having an artist or writer with me but as far as people who aren't involved with music, I prefer to keep them out lol. A lot of distracting questions with them.

When I first started it made a lot of sense to form a production team because everything was hardware based and you could produce better music by combining resources, like if you had a sampler and your partner had a sampler you could use more samples in a track, also if you had some cheap secondhand analog synth you could play it by hand while your partner manipulates something else, if you had to hire some shit like a DAT machine or cut a record it cost half as much and your promotional efforts could also be doubled.

In my opinion the key to working with someone else is to split creative control rather than try to share it, I guess it's a bit like sharing a kitchen to make a meal, one person might make potato salad and mix drinks while the other cooks the meat and makes dessert.

That's true, and the more I've thought about it I have realized how you could learn from each other. E-mailed an old friend of mine and asked him if we should team up for a little music project.

I enjoy working with others and if you can find another producer you click with, there's nothing like it. When you produce with a partner there's really 3 different sounds that you as a team can have; your sound, your partners sound, and the sound when both of you work on a project together.

I even like working with people who have no musical experience/skill/talent since they provide "the common man's ear". They sort of represent the general public. They don't know anything about scales, chord progressions, melodies etc but they can tell you what they like and don't like about a track.

I also agree with others who say they like to produce on their own though. When there's other people in the room, there are expectations and the pressure to come up with something great on the spot. When you produce by yourself you can produce at your own pace and experiment a little more freely.

There are pros and cons to both, but I think the biggest thing to take away from it is to always be open to new ideas and people.

Depends on who I'm around. Usually works out with fewer people in the room. I usually prefer working solo but sometimes works out better to have a few ears listening to the project as it's starting to take shape. I find that it's extremely difficult to work/create when "know it alls" are in the room. Kills my creativity when I can't load a single sound or play a single key without someone chiming in on how it should be different.

I usually dont like to work with people. Most of the time I feel like I'm getting my ideas out, and then somebody else taints the vision I have. If I was to work with somebody It would need to be someone on a higher level, that can help me...To many times have I worked with people who rush stuff out, or just get overly excited over something weak and my potential gets dumbed down to mediocre level. I try to be fair and let the other get his fair share of work, and not take over the track...sadly I hear whats wrong with the track before I hear whats right...wanna do it my way...but gotta be on some handicapped shit and lower my standards and expectations. I sounded kind of harsh there, but that's my truth.

Also people don't like to give credit where its due...they'll put their name over all your work...whether its a tag, mention, verbal chat anything and bring you up like once or twice.
Working with people as far as collaborating isn't all that bad...you could learn a few things see things from other angles...I give my respect for ppl who have been doing it...Most people would think two heads are better than one...but you gotta find your match when you seriously want to work with someone. I just been thru it as far as working with people.

It depends. If you really want to make music and we really see eye to eye. I would love it. Just remember, we not hanging out. We working.

I actually like working with people. Especially the client who's receiving the song. That way I know exactly what he/she wants and learn the best ways to achieve it.

Like most, I work better alone, but love to sit and watch other producers get down in their studios...its very inspiring. People who don't have access to other producers studios should really peep youtube "inside the studio" videos when they are searching for inspiration...

I do know a few producers that always have hella cats in the studio when they're workin...
Ive heard some sick songs made that unfortunately have never seen the light of day.. #Tragic. #TurfPolitics

Back on topic: Don't get me wrong, I can drop heat with cats around but I come up with the real gems when I'm alone -#inthezone.

I usually dont like to work with people. Most of the time I feel like I'm getting my ideas out, and then somebody else taints the vision I have. If I was to work with somebody It would need to be someone on a higher level, that can help me...To many times have I worked with people who rush stuff out, or just get overly excited over something weak and my potential gets dumbed down to mediocre level. I try to be fair and let the other get his fair share of work, and not take over the track...sadly I hear whats wrong with the track before I hear whats right...wanna do it my way...but gotta be on some handicapped shit and lower my standards and expectations. I sounded kind of harsh there, but that's my truth.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I'd be willing to work with other producers who have a similar level of skill as I do or better, and/or have a similar style. But otherwise it usually just feels like ill spent time.

Back