Do you make music? Read this.

A

AustinEgge

I know that this will be information that a lot of you know, but this is to be intended for musicians who don't know the importance of registering their music with the Electronic Copyright Office, and with a performing rights organization like BMI or SESAC, and those who intend on staying independent of a label or production team. Both services are easily accessible online, and both are free. I've seen too many cases of producers having other artists walk away with their music simply because they didn't know copyright laws, and how to protect their art from thieving savages (believe me there are plenty, I was once one of those affected artists.)

In the long run, registering EVERY SINGLE track once it's been finalized and rendered is the first most important part of making music, even more important than the DAW you use, because without registering your music, you are leaving your behind hanging out for music sharks, especially if you are leasing online or physically to people you know. OWN YOUR PUBLISHING.

You may ask "Don't I own the publishing and copyrights to my music once it's laid down on "wax?"' The answer technically is yes, kind of. Which comes to the next most important part of being a musician. Create a publishing business for yourself with you as the sole proprietor. I can't stress enough how important it is to simply grab a business application from your local officials, think of a clever name, and apply for a business licence to perform the business functions of a Publishing Company. Keeping records of created works in your catalog is extremely essential, leaving them off in a folder somewhere scattered on your C drive or desktop is a rookie mistake. I keep a folder on my external drive labeled "Published Music" and every time something gets registered with both organizations, it goes in that folder, project file and all in their own folders.

Second I highly recommend snagging another license for conducting the business of a Record Label with you being the sole proprietor. Too many artists are just leasing and selling music illegally, since they aren't legally aloud to conduct that kind of business without a license in their city or town. This is no knock on those musicians because most don't know, or most don't make enough yearly to have to report on taxes. That being said, both applications for me cost a total of $50 to file, good for one year, and allows me to do the things I need to do in order to legally make money in my area, and be considered a legal entity should legal action come from me or against me.

Having these in check with not only add an extra layer of security to the safety of your music, but will look good in a lawsuit in case your music is unlawfully used.

Sound off with your opinion and experiences below, and if you have anything to add, I would love to hear what you have to say! :victory::victory::victory::victory:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back