do I have to know how to dj

matrix123

if I get signed by a major electronic music label do I have to know how to dj when I tour and if so what easy ttutorials would you recommend for me on how to do and what equipment p.s would virtual dj work

If you are performing live, you would want some way to actually perform. DJing is becoming a universal thing when any electronic music performer performs live. There's a lot you can do with controllers and such. Also having a keyboard or sample pad would make it fun too. Just have fun man and play around with different tools. :P I use Traktor Pro 2 and it's dope, I wouldn't suggest anything but it. As far as I know, most dj softwares will pretty much work with almost every controller. You just have to map the knobs and such.

even though I come from a competitive side of djing and know all the techniques... it isnt necessary to know anything as far as mixing, blending, etc... the last festival I was at, the DJ that was on stage clearly had a pre-recorded set and was just jumping around on stage and the whole crowd ate it up..... as long as your mix is good then you can get away with murder lol.... the days of being solid performance wise are loooooong gone

Learning the basics of scratching and mixing/blending would be sufficient depending on what setting it is. In a bar setting, I'm pretty sure that's all you need to complete a decent gig. I guess musical knowledge and knowing what to play would be more important in that case.

I think you should think of the act of DJing as a live presentation from a rock band. So, yes, if you wanna tour, you need to show your songs to the public somehow.

Preparation is key, if you are going to tour find a way to perform, wether it's DJing, clip launching of live looping. just figure out which one fits you more.

This!
Good post!

lol its the truth though..... late gig I had I did an hr set going really hard on the turntables and people were looking at me crazy (in a bad way)... I stopped thinking like a hiphop DJ and just pressed play at the end of songs and everyone was in love with me... it kind of made me sick.. and thats what cats are doing to get paid millions of dollars.... nothing..... I see why Rock "n" Roll scene is pissed

Back