DJ'ing

DJCosmicRift

Hey guys I have a question for all the hip hop/mainstream/rap djs. I am a dance dj so I stick to the usual 4 to the floor and I have my intros, outros, breakdowns, and other versus to mix in and out of. What do you use for techniques to mix fast hip hop? I am not as familiar with the genres so I generally just fade a song in and out. Is there a better way to do this or is this the only method?

- Brian

There are DJ music services like Mixshow Ingredients and Funkymix who's tracks provide a 32 beat intro to songs. Funkymix is a remix service which has a very basic 32 beat intro, then a 32 beat break, then the song, then it may have another break in the middle and then a 32 beat outro. Alot of record pools will also have dj's that attach a basic 32/64 beat intro onto almost every track. When I dj, it's convenient to use music with intros, but depending how you work it, it may get monotonous. It's nice to use original tracks also and not consistently mixing 32 beat intros. Just have to know the music, obviously.

Yea, those are it. I used to use those back a few years ago, I haven't heard any new Funkymix's in maybe the past year. They started degrading in quality in my opinion. I like Mixshow Ingredients personally for something with an intro.

Degrading in quality as sound? I'll use the mixshow ones then. I've been needing some easy intros and outros. Too much jumbled up nonsenese in normal mixes.

I can see the headache, going from being a house dj. You just learn to be creative with your mixes. As quality, I meant the remixing just became lower quality it seemed.

The basic ones: fading, scratching & cutting. No special scratches - just "forth & back, forth & back, forth & back and let ´dem run". And if you have some killswitches why not play around with them in a transformer style (like back in the oldschool)? Or try to hit the stop button in the right time while plaing around with your crossfader between two records. If you own a MKII you can open it and adjust the pitch range and the behaviour of your stop button if you are not feeling comfortable with them. And if you have one of those pioneer mixers use the special effects like loop function or delay. So many possibilities. :)

Know your records and tracks, know the breaks and drops, know the phrases. But the most important thing is: have fun.

If it sounds good it sounds good. :)

So long,
Sebastian

Last edited:
yeah mostly I just do fade in fade outs or simple scratches. I would love to use killswitch but surprisingly the traktor s4 doesn't have a dedicated button. I don't mind the fading in and out too much. My first gig I did because I was use to my dance mixing techniques but, the mainstream crowd don't give a shit. As long as they're drunk and grinding ******* they could careless what I'm doing haha. Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll try it out later!

Back