Djing in Ableton live 8 with PadKontrol

ThatBoyLuke

I understand that you can Dj in ableton with the korg padkontrol. But my question is how do you get it to where you can cue up songs on the pads?

No disrespect but, you may not get alot of answers for this one because to some, that would not be considered deejaying. Peace be with you............Rob Mixx

Well, its not really a conventional way of doing it, but i have seen people assign cross-faders, bass, mids, and highs to the knobs and use it like they would a DJ controller. I have read the manual several times over and searched far and wide online, but cannot find an answer that is explained in a way that clicks with me. All i am really trying to do here is to learn the bells and whistles of my equipment, so if anyone has something for me, hit me back on here.

i DJ'd for the first time last month, used ableton with akai lpd8 lol because i saw rl grime did it in the boiler room. so basically, what you want to do is set up the tracks in session view, create two audio clips for your left and right channels, then assign the midi button of your choice to the "play" and the "stop" buttons for your left and right channels. thats the basics of the set up

after that, theres multiple ways you can do it, if you have a mixer like a DJM 800 you could send the audio out of ableton > the mixer > speakers. or in my case i did ableton>soundcard>mixer>speakers. i highly recommend a setup like this. you want to use a club standard mixer with ableton, it's way awesomer.

if you dont have a mixer you can assign EQ3, reverb, hi pass filters, etc. to each channel and assign them to knobs/buttons on your midi controller.

you can also set up the tempo to macro controls, in other words you can press one button and automatically have the tempo change over the next 8 bars while you use your hands to do FX/EQ during the mix.

theres lots of videos to watch, it took me over a month to learn. you have to warp all your songs, so get good at warping.
here a video that i have bookmarked that you should check out.

actually, this is only my 4th post so i cant post links. so just search youtube "how to dj with ableton" and look for dj bolivia

theres still a lot of content on the internet you have to look for. use google and find it. dont listen to robmixx or whoever that guy is with the negative comment. baauer, skrillex, flying lotus and some others have used ableton to DJ at some big festivals. its not the same as using tables, but youre still putting the music out there and mixing it. it takes a lot more work before hand because of the warping and setup, but i think overall its worth learning. but ya eventually, you should learn to use 4 CDJs like a bawse

Back