DJ Quik's Keyboard?

tite you're a fan of quik? man i just had a thread up about asking him about production techniques cause i interviewed him at the studio the other day. i havent gotten it written up yet but i will soon. at the studio.. i seen the mpc 3000 and he was like 'yo man that's ALL i use' but he also plays the keys on what looked like a regular piano (wasnt a fancied synth like the triton). aite peace.

Much love for the Westcoast Music Veteran. I buy other peoples albums just because I know he be doin' a couple of tracks for them too. The Man is pure Rhythm and Melody with his own gangster flavor added to the thang. Good lookin on the replies. I still gotta know how he be comin' up with those synth sounds, the basslines, and everything. Does the MPC3000 do all of that? If so, how does he take a note from the machine and push the PB range up and down?

Jay

I 'm almost certain I read somewhere before that Quik uses Roland keys. Check around for articles and innerviews on the net.

Yes. He loves Roland Keys...back in 93-95 he was using several of Roland rack mount synths. He even used Roland's R70 drum machine on tracks during that era.

Yeah from what I've read he is a roland man but most of the producers of his caliber use mpc 3000 for some reason.

The MPC 3000 is a great hardware sequencer. Plus it has 4 MIDI ouputs. If you love keyboards and sound modules...64 independant MIDI tracks are a dream.

You can't really do all of the with a drum machine. It's a drum machine. The instruments were recorded live. So, real basses, real synths (I think) and shit, but for orchestral instruments, piano and some things, he just used the preset on his Roland.

Back