Disciplines, hobbies and/or Metaphors to aide in Music Production....???

Chew_Bear

Anyone having spent a considerable amount of time in music production has probably heard or used the same old...."COOKING / BAKING" theory and/or metaphor to help explain music production.

Therefore....What other disciplines, hobbies and/or metaphors have you guys experienced or discovered to help 'aide' you in understanding music production a lot better...???

Because you were able to 'connect the dots' so to speak. And found out that whatever other hobbie/discipline you were doing....also had similar concepts, ideas and workflows to music production and that made it easier for you to analyze, understand and comprehend your music production from another angle, perspective and/or view/light.

For me....the ones that have helped me the MOST.....

1. I used to work in the restaurant/hospitality industry. Running a restaurant and all of its various sections, processes and/or activities.....is EXACTLY like music production.

2. I am also an avid Bass fisherman that hunts/fishes for trophy large mouth bass. Going out fishing to beat your 'personal best'.....is EXACTLY like music production.

3. Lastly...I have to give it up to cooking even though its been beaten to death by everyone. In the end...I believe it is the best/easiest metaphor/discipline to explain about music production to people/newbies.

My mom did all the cooking when I was younger and she needed someone to help her....so that was me. I learned so much about cooking from her. I am not saying I am a 'gourmet/five star chef'....but....I can 'cleverly' analyze whats in the fridge to figure out what to do....in order to have a warm, home cooked meal ready in less than an hour to an hour and a half. A lot of my friends and family members say that I am a good cook and love to eat the food that I make. (I just hope they are not lying and just doing that to be nice...LOL)

Cooking a home cooked meal from 'scratch'....is EXACTLY like music production. I LOVE to cook and so should you because it will definitely help you understand music production and take your music to a whole 'nother level....!!!

For all the newbies reading this thread....My biggest advice would be to pick up a new "hobby", discipline and/or job that is totally different from music. And try and analyze or connect the dots on how it relates to music production and I promise you....it will help tremendously.

CHEERS...!!!!!

Back