[Debate] Hip Hop isn't dead, its irrelevant

Just Clauz

Thats whats wrong right now. Hip hop is still there, but it isnt in the spotlight anymore. Dj'ing, breakdancing, grafitti even emceeing has been abandoned.

Do you think it will ever come back?

You have to go back to 1979. When the first rap record was released it entered the commercial marketplace. This meant that the single defined Hip Hop but the bad was that a singles oriented focus made Hip Hop a fad that has since been proven wrong and those who were literal outsiders to the music and culture wanted in so bad that they bought up the independents in the process once they saw that money was being made without their input. Prior to "Rapper's Delight" Hip Hop was communal and you couldn't access it solely being inside yours or someone else's home just listening to a record. The fans have made and do make Hip Hop irrelevant. If anything Hip Hop has the most disloyal fans and this is not to say that fans should buy everything an artist releases even when it is subpar.

Last edited:
Far from dead or irrelevant. The Djing and Dancing elements to the genre are still there today.

I'm a House/Footwork Edm dude but I think no genre dies out completely.
There will always be dudes who stick to genres no matter what I tell ya : /

Hip Hop Music isn't DEAD.. it just is not "Popular Music" anymore like it was in the 90s and early 2000s... Just like Jazz, Disco, Soul music isn't popular anymore but at one time was the biggest thing out... But you can still hear the influence of Jazz, Disco and Soul music in a lot of "Popular Music" today.. Just like you can hear the influence of hip hop in songs by Justin Beiber, Drake, Iggy Azelea, G-Eazy. ect even tho they are "Pop" artist

I don't believe Hip Hop is DEAD just evolved to something more commercial or mainstream. There are still some artists that hold true to the original form of Hip Hop, but let's face it if it's not "lit" whether it's good or not it will get drowned out. Just the way it seems to be nowadays.

Hip Hop Music isn't DEAD.. it just is not "Popular Music" anymore like it was in the 90s and early 2000s... Just like Jazz, Disco, Soul music isn't popular anymore but at one time was the biggest thing out... But you can still hear the influence of Jazz, Disco and Soul music in a lot of "Popular Music" today.. Just like you can hear the influence of hip hop in songs by Justin Beiber, Drake, Iggy Azelea, G-Eazy. ect even tho they are "Pop" artist

This is a great interview with Warren G that explains why hiphop died after 2000 when the records companies and radio stations merged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blMD48aR0s
sample based music is what hip hop was in the day.

it's around, just that garbage claiming to be "hiphop" is saturating the pop market is all.
I'm all the way with you on the thought though.
stay off the radio stations and listen to what you love.
commercial radio takes every great form of music and turns it into a cheap whore.

Back