DAW Questions

-/-

I've only used 2 daws - Fruity Loops (6 yrs) and Maschine (2 months) and I'm basically doing 99% of my work on Maschine standalone, it just flows incredibly well/faster compared to FL for me. I messed with Ableton back in the day and hated it, Made a couple beats on a school iMac using Logic. I've always been interested in other workstations like Cubase & Protools because I mainly compose using VST's with my Midi-Keyboard and Drum samples. I like Maschine because it shares the simplicity of FL with how you create drums. I was wondering based on my background and skills what DAWs might be suited for me? I know that he DAW has no real significance in the process but even with Maschine I notice some limitations that I had access to In FL although I am used to it at this point. What out there can serve as a Maschine/FL Studio hybrid? Also is it even necessary to delve into other programs after you've found one your comfortable with?

Last edited by a moderator:
With Fruity Loops i was used to placing things where I wanted, cuts/automations/switchups. That split by Channel Feature lets you get at EVERY indiividual sound in the Playlist. Its a very non-traditional approach but it was cool. The editing was also better in a few ways in that its easier/faster than the Maschine Piano Roll and the layout of FL is more in-depth than Maschine. With that being said, ironically enough my Maschine beats are a lot better. Probably the literally "hands on" aspect with the hardware lets you make exactly what you want in real time. Its kinda hard to explain honestly if someone has used both Daws theyd probably get a bit of what im saying. Im still learning to love the 'Scene' system with Maschine

Last edited:
Don't think of maschine as a DAW because it's not. If you think if it more as a beatmaking tool (like an mpc) groove sampler/sequencer you'll be better off. I love maschine but there are some things that can get cumbersome. I would suggest you do the bulk of the beat in maschine (since you say you do anyway) and then when you have your basic arrangement down track everything out into FL. There you can do the intricate stuff, final arrangement, automation, mixing etc... And if you really need to add something you still have all the tools to do so. This is pretty much my workflow except I use Pro Tools.

No u have the option to export by master, groups, or sounds, so you can bounce everything out in separate files in one shot

Oh and I saw your thread about the reverb tails from the last scene printing on your first one, turn loop optimize off from your bounce settings to fix that

Yoooo thanks my dude, helped me out a lot with that there. As far as mixing in FL, thats gonna be tough to get used to because I like sticking to one daw. Any tips/tutorials?

You should not change programs just because you are curios. If Maschine is working for you and not giving you any issues then you should stay with it. Now with that said I think the best DAW to use after using both FL Studio and Maschine would be Reaper. It is low in cost and allows you to use Maschine as a VST Plugin. The other option would be Cubase, but that will cost more money and take a little bit more time to get used to.

Hey whats going on.. i'm a FL Studio (since Version 8) - now using Maschine dude too..
& i've been hitting a lot of pit stops trying to progress in Maschine. you sound like you have some answers
so if you wouldn't mind, i'd like to share a message that i sent to Native Instruments.. (its one of many messages)
they only replied once.. & that reply was bogus (meaning they sent a link to their Manual, with page numbers.. like no one would ever think to check their manual before going directly to them for answers).

Here's the message i sent them.. if you have answers you can share, it would be greatly appreciated:

Everything on the Plug-in list is from the Native Instruments factory. if you want to Load & access Plug-ins that are EXTERNAL.. NOT from the NI Factory.. how do you do that.??

i’ve checked the “Get started manual” & the more comprehensive Maschine 2.0 manual.. & it gives very detailed steps for how to do things with the Internal (Factory) Plug-ins (i.e. Massive & such).. BUT.. although the manual keeps saying “AND” External.. it kinda completely ignors “HOW”.. & lets loading & using “External” Plug-ins remain a mystery. i do have some “Favorite” sounds & effects that are not from Native Instruments factory.. & i would appreciate details on how to install & load them.

Plug-ins that are not strictly a simple DLL (a DLL file that can be dropped into a folder), plug-ins that require a install.. HOW do you do that, what is the procedure.. i’ve exhausted myself looking for detailed & correct info online, on forums, on Youtube (even paid memberships on online websites, that take peoples money & don’t gives answers: “Maschine Tutorials”). This is still a mystery. i want to be creating, not wasting time trying to decode a mystery.. this has been frustrating.. there is reams & reams, & volumns of stuff that lead us all over the place on your “Knowledge base” that don’t pinpoint or give answers to this simple “How to” question.

After i go to Preference/plug-ins/locations & “add” the Plug-ins folder location, WHERE do i click to upload the EXTERNAL plug-in. in Maschine 1.8 it was clear.. in 2.0 the external plug-ins are hard to install, load, & hard to locate. i’m a very computer savy person, but this area is stagnating my progress. i’m sure i’m not the only one.

its 2014 now, i spent a lot of money on your hardware, 2.0 software upgrade, expansions & so on.. i’m a Registered NI customer .. looking for a correct way to do things.. can i get some help.?

Back