DAW Buyers Guide

Drethe5th

contact @ i80media.com
Almost any DAW will cover whatever you want to do. Some have WORK FLOW priorities that are more advanced than others but again they all do the same thing in general. As for compatability, buy what would normaly be needed in your circle of friends, producers, or studios you go to. Dont buy Brand-A, simply because a big producer or big studio uses it. How often do you honestly expect to work with that person or in that studio within this entire year? If not often, then choose based on who/where you will work most often.

Your focus has to be finishing projects as professionaly and as quickly as possible. If you were already there you wouldnt be reading this. Remember every DAW has a Universal work around for compatability. Either ability to create a compatible session file or at a minimum, they all export individual sounds through channels (tracks) as .WAV files. The wav format will work in any studio & any program! ! ! ! !

Since thats the case choose your DAW based on your priority and what short comings you absolutely can not tolerate.

PROTOOLS: Most expensive, fewest stock sounds & stock plug ins. Most widley used, but not the best program. Also has the most devices, peripherals, video, book, and forum support.
Like an iphone plenty parts available, the most support at stores, very efficient. But still not the absolute best phone in todays market.

CUBASE: usb ilok required. Best midi features. Major video, book & forum support.

SONAR: Extremely great stock sound, mix & editing plug ins ! But crashes a lot.

LOGIC: Great in almost every way possible. Plenty of support and 3rd party hardware. Almost never crashes due to being built by the same company who makes the computer it runs on. Perfect match, perfect fit.
Downside. Why spend $1,500 on a MAC to use Logic but still get the same overall sound that a $900 PC will give you?

FL Studio. Most youtube videos. Cheapest program. Fast work flow. Great sampling.
Downside. Weird screen set up (gui). Weakest at editing/recording live vocals & instruments.

REASON: Unrestricted creativity. Ability to create your own instrument configurations and patches. Good stock sounds. Teaches you about studio hardware, most stable and nearly never crashes.
Down Side: No true VST support, no midi out. Weak sampler/slicer, unless using another program like re-cycle. Weak audio track editing.

STUDIO ONE: Great Screen interface (gui) Great Work Flow. Light on CPU.
Downside: Not a major base for book, video, forum support because its a new program. Few plug ins.

REAPER: Good work flow. Super cheap but able to do everything the expensive ones do. Very light on CPU.
Downside: Even less stock plug ins. Limited book & vid support. Best internal forum support. Very little outside forum support.

LIVE (Ableton): Best “remix“ style
set up. Deep drum set up. Good work flow.
Downside: Weird (traditional) screen interface. Remix & sample style workflow may hurt you if thats not your primary production style.

Remember: a .WAV file solves compatability issues, and you can buy plug ins for sound & functionality issues. Doing so makes every DAW the same.

LAST: Buying “Brand-XYZ“ gear wont make you sound like “Producer XYZ“ only studying, practice and talent will. There are people with MPC's with wack beats and people with ProTools who can't mix and people with Jordan shoes who cant play ball at all. Why? Talent & Knowledge wins every time. The lack of it is usualy behind a loss.

''Your focus has to be finishing projects as professionaly and as quickly as possible.''

Nah, I'd rather make my song as good or perfect as possible, not as quickly as possible, its more professionaly if you make a good track.

I'd rather buy a beat from someone and wait 1 month for a dope dope beat than getting a mediocre beat in a week =).

''Your focus has to be finishing projects as professionaly and as quickly as possible.''

Nah, I'd rather make my song as good or perfect as possible, not as quickly as possible, its more professionaly if you make a good track.

I'd rather buy a beat from someone and wait 1 month for a dope dope beat than getting a mediocre beat in a week =).
With what resources you have, put your best effort foward, Im not advising to drop garbage in any way.

Back